Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Great American Boycott?

Old 05-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Here in New Mexico there was a march and business closed. But I brought my lunch to work like I always do and had nothing going on that caused me to feel any effects. I paper was larger this morning, and maybe I will file suit over the injury to my back from picking it up.

Life seems to have moved along just fine yesterday.

A side track: There is a radio station here whose slogan is "Hispanic Pride" and they had a lot of coverage yesterday. If I had a station and had a slogan "Anglo Pride" I would be run out of town, no matter my politics.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
A side track: There is a radio station here whose slogan is "Hispanic Pride" and they had a lot of coverage yesterday. If I had a station and had a slogan "Anglo Pride" I would be run out of town, no matter my politics.
I remember being enraged when I was younger by things such as "The United Negro College Fund". Not that I think the organization is bad, but simply because of the fact that we are totally accepting of certain types of racism but not others. Like the good Pastor said, if I stared the "United Caucasian College Fund" someone would burn my house down all call me a racist pig.

As a caucasian male of protestant decent, I am everyone's enemy.

WAIT A SECOND! NO POLITICS ALLOWED HERE!

Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
I remember being enraged when I was younger by things such as "The United Negro College Fund". Not that I think the organization is bad, but simply because of the fact that we are totally accepting of certain types of racism but not others. Like the good Pastor said, if I stared the "United Caucasian College Fund" someone would burn my house down all call me a racist pig.

As a caucasian male of protestant decent, I am everyone's enemy.

WAIT A SECOND! NO POLITICS ALLOWED HERE!
I had a friend in high school who was born in South Africa. He was white and raised speaking English. He was also turned down for an African-American scholarship fund on basis of race.

It probably went to someone who'd never even been to Africa, let alone had the ability to show heritage there. He applied half on a joke, but it was shocking to know that he didn't get it even with his good grades and extra-curricular memberships.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

First of all, Cheesefood, I couldn't find anywhere else to post this, but I gotta say:

Whoo! Lo Pan! I bet he's in the Hell of Being Forced to Drink Skanky Non-Home-Brew right now.

As to the real point of this thread though, my thinking was this: Orginally, when it was a "boycott stuff" kind of day, I was sorta ambivalent about it, like the other guy said: Why try to hold people hostage when your legal status is questionable?

But it seemed, then, to morph into a solidarity/visibility kind of event, which is a much more legit thing, and brings it in line with previous civil rights movements. So that's okay, if that's the direction it goes in.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

It sounds like very few of us were affected. I wonder if there's a chance that the protest backfired? It wasn't that much of a hardship for most people, life went on.

If it went on for two weeks, maybe, but I think we'd find people to empty the trash, etc. People we are paying an actual wage to. I'm not an economist or a politician, but that could definitely end up being a good thing.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #16
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

The only thing the boycott did was to actually harm the illegals. Dont go to work, dont get paid, make the owner who you work for lose cash pull money out of your local economy. For all those people in Mexico who decided not to go to Mc Donalds or walmart or what ever how many of those busines were local franchises owned by a local person?

And tell me that there wont be some sort of backlash towards illegals . . .

To me the whole thing made as much sense as starting a riot in your own neighborhood.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #17
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

One thing I was wondering..... Since alot of immigrants didn't go to work and most illegals who work take day to day jobs like construction. With that said, were there any stories of immigrant scabs who took their jobs for the day just to make a quick buck?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #18
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
were there any stories of immigrant scabs who took their jobs for the day just to make a quick buck?
There was a couple storys on the local news of out of work latinos complaining about the walk out and yes those complaining were more then willing to work that day . . .dunno if I wold call them scabs

Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #19
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
There was a couple storys on the local news of out of work latinos complaining about the walk out and yes those complaining were more then willing to work that day . . .dunno if I wold call them scabs
Well, wouldn't you say those immigrants at the rallies were on strike? Those who work when the regular workers are on strike are commonly called scabs. (is this a bad work to some people? I apologize if it is, I've never been in a union)

Old 05-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #20
ultraplop
Recipes 

I think many people blur the line between legal and illegal immigrants. legal immigrants are good, while illegal ones are bad. The illegals, while not having to pay any taxes except for maybe some sales tax here and there, are having a very negative effect on our economy. Not only do they remove billions of dollars out of our economy and send it to mexico, but they bog down our medical and educational systems. Many hospitals are forced to close because they are forced to take the illegals who don't have to pay a dime. The governer of New Mexico who is actually Hispanic, not so long ago declared a state of emergency because illegal immigration is ravaging the state.

I think the answer to the problem is going to be a combination of securing the borders, stiffer penalties for companies that employ illegals, and possibly changes to the naturalization process to allow for more "legal" immigrants.