Hi y'all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to send a huge shout out of thanks to this thread and a few others for making my kegerator possible. Figured I'd share some photos of my buildout. I've had it up and running for several months now, but I just got around to finally putting in my third faucet today and am now satisfied.
I went with the Lowes model
for no other reason than it was cheaper. In retrospect, I think the Best Buy model may be better as I understand that the inner door simply unscrews. If that's not the case, then it's just a huge mess no matter what, so go with whatever's cheaper. I carefully cut around the edge of the lip where the magnetic seal tucks in, then tore off the plastic sheeting, which wasn't fun, and then just hacked away at the foam. I can't stress enough that you should do this in a garage if at all possible - somewhere well ventilated but not out in the open so you can clean up after yourself. This foam almost certainly will give you cancer. Buy a cheap-o face mask and wear eye protection.
I bought some spray foam
to fill in the valleys, then caulked in a corrugated plastic sheet
flush against the inside of the door. I saw another thread or possibly somewhere in this thread where someone put acrylic in, but that was pretty expensive and also heavier. It's possible that acrylic would be better for temp purposes, but honestly, this has been fine. The acrylic certainly would be more rigid for securing the shanks, but again, this has been adequate. Initially, I removed the casing around the light and thermostat and moved them out of the way as previously described so that I could fit two 5-gallon ball locks side by side.
I then drilled some holes through the door with some hole saws
. If I had or had access to a drill press, that would have been ideal since one of my shanks went in a little crooked. After that, it was just two small holes and a 6 inch drip tray
and I was good to go.
Since I'm a sucker for making things nicer than they need to be and my girlfriend's brother is an electrical engineer, I decided to upgrade to a temp controller. This thread
was instrumental in making that dream a reality. Went with this PID controller
and it's great. The light still works, but since there's nothing on the door currently to trip the switch, I just taped down the switch (hence the ugly mess of blue tape). Eventually I'll figure out a way to make that work. Or not. Anyway, I can't help anyone with the wiring as my girlfriend's brother did all of the hard work.
Now, after having it a while, I thought "Hey, I bet I could fit a 2.5 gallon on the back hump." So I picked up two of these 2.5 gallon kegs
. To my dismay, they are ever so slightly wider than standard ball locks and don't fit side-by-side. HOWEVER! I noticed I could fit one on the hump and one in the front, then stagger a five gallon in front, which means three kegs, plus a 5 pound cylinder in the fridge, self contained! So today I installed a three way distributor
in the upper left hand corner (affixed with velcro
, not sure if it will hold up, but better than risking hitting some coolant lines with a screw) and drilled another hole for a faucet. Everything fits, plus I have room on top of the 2.5 gallon in front for my dehumidifier
. Ideally, the faucets would be spaced out better, but honestly, not sure if the doors would close if they went much wider, plus this drip tray looks decent.
Tricked it out with Duck Rabbit
and Trou du Diable
tap handles - with a standard black one for the middle since it's a little tight there - and a ton of bottle cap magnets
and I have a three-brew dispenser in a tight package to keep SWMBO happy.
Anyway, not sure if someone already confirmed the three-keg configuration works, but this certainly does. It's tight, but it works.