Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #671
yehaww
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was running around looking for a decent fridge today. I found this one at Lowes for $100 It's a 4.0l. I looked inside and the freezer "tray" is easily removable. So height isn't an issue. I was hoping to get 2 3 gallon corny kegs in it although I only had one with me at the store to test fit and it looked like it was a little over half the width. Also the door would definitely need to be cut away a bit.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_121700-2251-...nfo=Frigidaire

I'm curious if anyone used it yet. Otherwise, I guess I go with this one,

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326299-47224...nfo=Frigidaire

It's double the price and I think it's the same fridge listed in this thread although the model #'s don't match up.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #672
elganso
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briton View Post
Has anyone successfully figured out a way to have the fridge run a little quieter? It seems to squeal at a really high pitch whenever the compressor runs.
This was driving me crazy too. I ended up purchasing an acoustic foam panel (http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Barrier-.../dp/B0007XGKRW).

I then cut it to size to form a rectangle "box" on the back of the unit where the compressor is. I sealed using metallic tape. It dampened things a bit, but I wasn't thrilled. There was still quite a bit of noise escaping from underneath the unit. So, I added a strip the entire width of the fridge about halfway out (didn't "seal" this completely on the sides, since I wanted there to be some air transfer).

That helped enough so that I can live with it in the kitchen. Clearly, I assume this is not good for the longevity of the compressor, since all that heat is trapped back there in the "box". But had to do something for my own sanity...

Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #673
elganso
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehaww View Post

It's double the price and I think it's the same fridge listed in this thread although the model #'s don't match up.
LFPH44M4LM is the newer model of the fridge originally modded in this thread. About 3/4 of the way through this thread, everyone starts talking about this newer model. Only significant difference is that the door molding is not conducive to fitting two cornys -- so you need to hack that out. If you go through the most recent 20 pages or so, you'll see the various methodologies for doing this.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #674
yehaww
Recipes 

Ok, thanks. I read through quite a few pages but this is a loooooong thread!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #675
elganso
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehaww View Post
Ok, thanks. I read through quite a few pages but this is a loooooong thread!
Heh. Indeed. Epic and super helpful thread... other than the compressor noise issues I've had, I'm thrilled with this kegerator.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #676
yehaww
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elganso

Heh. Indeed. Epic and super helpful thread... other than the compressor noise issues I've had, I'm thrilled with this kegerator.
I got the fridge and was super pleased to find i could fit both my 3 gallon cornys on the floor of the unit with no door mods at all. Fantastic. It's a little bigger than the "mini fridge" I told my wife it would be when I sold her on the idea though.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #677
JohnsonTM
Recipes 

Default LFPH44M4LM 1/6 Barrel Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and had a few questions after reading through this thread. I'm still in college so initially I'm just going to be using my kegerator for 1/6 barrel kegs but I want to eventually start home brewing when I have my own place.

I'd prefer not to remove the door panel on the fridge and was wondering whether I would have to on the Lowe's Frigidaire LFPH44M4LM to fit just one 1/6 barrel? I read that you don't have to on the Best Buy model but that was for two corny kegs.

Also, does anyone know if this fridge will fit a slim quarter or even a full quarter with a stand?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #678
bygracealone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey guys,

Best Buy has model BFPH44M4LM on sale now for $170 (and if you have a Discover Card, you can also get 5% cashback through ShopDiscover...).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frigidai...04.4&cp=1&lp=1

I just picked one up and the door looks like it won't need to be modified to fit the two cornies.

I'm excited to start this project, but won't be able to for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass along the word...

Cheers!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #679
gornick54

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome thread! Love the photos, really are going to help with my conversion. Cheers

Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #680
cysiam
Recipes 

I am getting ready to convert this fridge (FRC455GB) and I put in the both kegs and the co2 tank just to test the fit. The co2 tank won't sit on the back hump with the regulator attached unless I lean it slightly. This isn't a huge problem, but it would make me more comfortable if it fit upright. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe the 5lb tank I have it slightly too tall.