Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How to reduce trub from hop pellets?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to reduce trub from hop pellets?

Is there a way to reduce the sediment produced when using hop pellets? Do the hop bags help with it?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I use a bag...it helped for me

Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
Calico Jack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

go to your local hardware store and ask for paint straining bags. they run about a buck and are reusable.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use pantyhose, you can get them in walmart for about 50 cents a piece. If you have several small hop additions, you can use the peds that you get in the shoe store, just grab a handful. just remember to leave enough room for the pellets to expand

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I don't think panty hose are food safe. They are not designed to be used with food or to be subjected to hot boiling water. I would be careful. I would bet most panty hose are made in China (especially from Walmart). I can't trust panty hose when it comes to food.

I would use a wire mesh colander (stainless steel) the kind with hooks on the end and a handle on the other. The kind you find at the grocery store or restaurant supply.

You only need the hop oils so you can strain all of the leaf material out. By pouring the wort through a colander you remove grain dust, hop leafs and you also aerate the wort which will make your fermentation start faster.

Forrest

Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I typically use muslin bags, but they're not re-usable. I am making a trip to reading china glass (cookware outlet) for just this reason- infuser. Typically used for tea, and are small, but I've seen big infusers the size of a baseball. I read it on a thread before, and if I remember correctly, OP said it worked great!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
jklotz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what about for dry hopping in secondary? Is there a bag that will help reduce trub and not be too difficult to get out of the carboy?
Bottled - "Homewrecker" IIPA
Bottled - "Wife Beater" IPA
On Deck - American Amber Brown Ale

Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have used a regular hop bag and weighted it with a large SS ball-bearing, filled with hops, then tied to the bottom of the airlock. Works quite well, but a PITA to get out after the hops get wet and expand. I had to pull one corner out and gradually work it around until the opening is down and dump the contents into the bottom of the drained carboy before I could remove it. Next time I am just going to throw the hops in there and siphon above them when bottling time comes.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Dgriff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I don't think panty hose are food safe. They are not designed to be used with food or to be subjected to hot boiling water. I would be careful. I would bet most panty hose are made in China (especially from Walmart). I can't trust panty hose when it comes to food.

I would use a wire mesh colander (stainless steel) the kind with hooks on the end and a handle on the other. The kind you find at the grocery store or restaurant supply.

You only need the hop oils so you can strain all of the leaf material out. By pouring the wort through a colander you remove grain dust, hop leafs and you also aerate the wort which will make your fermentation start faster.

Forrest
I have used pantyhose for hops for years with no problems. I will usually boil them first to get rid of any dye. they work well for me.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 85 Posts

They sell a nylon net for your bucket. I pour my wort in it and sparge the hops with top off water...not hops make it to my primaries...