Did I get a bad bottle of Delirium Tremens?!?! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Did I get a bad bottle of Delirium Tremens?!?!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
curt656
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Miami, FL

Hello HBT! I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but I don't see a place on the sight that is appropriate for this post, and my motivation to get an answer is purely educational. I opened a big bottle of Delirium Tremens and poured it into a glass and I was puzzled by what I saw. There were all these white globby things floating throughout the glass of beer. I have never seen anything like this ever. My friend said that he thought that it was old, skunky beer. I was not so sure. I tried to catch a glob and it was kind of gooey, so I thought that it might be gelatin or something. Because I did not want to throw away a $10 bottle of beer, I pounded it. It didn't taste bad which kind of puzzled me. Does anyone know what was wrong with this beer?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

May 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Did you let the bottle settle? Sounds like the yeast got kicked up in the bottle. You need to decant because it is bottle conditioned.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
curt656
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Miami, FL

It didn't look like yeast to me. It was really strange, like big white snowflakes swirling and floating throughout the beer.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
mjn12
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

never seen that in my DT

Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

If it didn't taste bad or was a gusher upon opening, then yes it was only yeast.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
gpogo
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Palmdale, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did the bottle have a date it was produced on?

Sounds like old yeast that got back into suspension due to the pour/handling of the bottle.
Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Coosaw Island
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I've noticed that in every bottle of Delirium Tremens I've ever had (about six). Didn't seem to effect the flavor, but it it did look like a snow globe, thick opaque floaties. A little discerning but, I chalked it up to yeast. No matter what I tried I could not get it to settle. The stuff stayed in suspension after resting, storage, and extremely slow pouring. Maybe since the OP and I are in the South, we are getting older bottles or something. It does not look like yeast that I have seen in any other beer.
It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Old 11-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Orangevango

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I experianced that at a beer tasting on friday, the beer in question was a lambic though, and, we decided it was the bugs that make the beer sour, not yeast. Killer beer though.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
FireBrewer

Recipes 

May 2007
Fallston, MD
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt656 View Post
My friend said that he thought that it was old, skunky beer. I was not so sure.
Skunked beer comes from the beer being lightstruck (photochemical rearrangement of unisomerized hop resins via UV rays into methyl compounds that smell like a skunk). Sounds like yeast.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Coosaw Island
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
Skunked beer comes from the beer being lightstruck (photochemical rearrangement of unisomerized hop resins via UV rays into methyl compounds that smell like a skunk).
Which couldn't happen in this case because of the painted bottle.
It took me both hands just to squeeze it