Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Jasmine/Basmati Rice
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
John Long
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Jasmine/Basmati Rice

I'm searching for some recipes using Jasmine or Basmati rice adjuncts.

Is there any information on the net regarding the two? My local co-op has some extremely fragrant Jasmine rice I think would be delicious in an IPA or a Pilsner.

What about wild rice? Anyone tried that? My co-op also has some Himalayan pink rice, would love to try that but not sure I want to spend the $$$.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could brew a classic american pilsner and use the Jasmine rice instead of regular rice or maize. Also, Elysian makes a Jasmine IPA, but that is using Jasmine flowers. I bet it would go well in a kolsch also.

I do know rice has to be cooked before mashing, but I don't know for how long. You need to gelatinize the starches to let the enzymes get after them in the mash.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

BYO has had a few things on wild rice. here are are few I've seen:

Eye in the Pyramid Wild Rice Helles Bock: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Eye in the Pyramid Wild Rice Helles Bock -
Mad Fishmonger Wild Rice Ale: Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Mad Fishmonger Wild Rice Ale -

I also know that Dog Fish Head brew an ale with ingredient from every continent including ginger from Australia, muscavado sugar from Africa and basmati rice from Asia, called Pangea.
Primary:Russian River Redemption clone, Kelly's Melomel, Graham's English Cider 22-23
Clearing:Apple Wine
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn
Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have brewed with Jasmine rice and the aroma doesn't really come through. After going through a cereal mash, then mashed with the rest of the grains, then boiled for an hour and finally fermented all of the aroma has left. Now when I use rice I just buy the pre-gelatinized flakes, you get the same flavor with none of the trouble.