Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > First mead, lots of questions

Old 05-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #11
magno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I just returned home, to find the airlock not bubbling at all, and most of the water was missing from it. I guess I should have checked on the water level before leaving, but I didnt. Im not sure how much of the the water from the airlock fell into the mead durring the ferocious fermentation before I left, and how much of it evaporated. It has only been in the primary for fifteen days now so I doubt it could all have disapeared from evaporation. Any potential problems here?

I have refilled the airlock, and it still hasnt bubbled yet. I am guessing that mead suffers from oxidation similar to beer. I am a little concerned that there wil not be a CO2 blanket over the mead in secondary.

I should probably go grab a homebrew to help me relax and not worry so much.

Can anyone recomend any commercial meaderies with decent products? The family is curious.

- magno

Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #12
magno

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

When I woke up today, the airlock had built up some pressure, but it is not bubbling noticably. I plan to rack today... any objections?

- magno

Old 05-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
BrewStef

Recipes 

Regarding commercial meaderies, I really like Redstone Meadery in Boulder, CO. They can be reached at www.redstonemeadery.com where you can purchase online. Try their traditional mead and one of their nectars - they are very different. They have melomels, pyments, and metheglins as well.

Brewstef

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled and Drinking: Maibock, EdWort's Apfelwein, Traditional MeadUp Next: Cherry Melomel

Old 05-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #14
magno

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I racked it this afternoon. I think it is pretty much done fermenting. The SG was 0.997! It tasted youn, but it will be good.

I realized I made two mistakes on this batch, but they canceled each other out:

A while ago I found out that since I had to get my honey from two different stores, I had mistakenly used a pound too much honey.

When I took the lid off my bucket today, I noticed that there had been krausen all the way up to the lid. Then I overflowed my five gallon carboy. I quickly sanitized my half gallon growler and filled it up. I managed to keep most of the mead, but I estimate that I made 6 gallons instead of 5. Not quite sure how this happened.

So basically my honey to water ratio is not as skewed as I thought it was, and I have 6 or so gallons of this mead... I'll take it.

- magno