Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Classic Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
bobeer
Easy Ridin' Danger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by geh4rig View Post
Could you possibly post your converted ingredients for the 2.5 gallon batch .. How many grains/hops and water if possible? I brew stove top so any 5 plus gallon recipes are out of the question..
Sure!

4 lbs Maris Otter
.6 lb flaked oats
.35 lb crystal 60
.30 lb chocolate malt
.20 lb roasted barley

.5-1 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 min

Irish ale yeast

From my notes it looks like I mashed @ 152 for 60 min in 3 gallons of water and sparged back up to 3.5 gallons after the mash

When I do that again I'm going to mash in a little less water. Missed the og by a tad.
Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: Some kind of IPA

Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
powmonster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

discgolfin,
After reading your recipe and looking at several others I decided I liked the balance of yours and so I created a GF recipe based on yours: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ag-gf-stout-365062/
My grains are ready/roasted, they just need time to rest and then I will brew it just in time for the new year... If you have any updates to this recipe pls let me know.

cheers.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
jamieofthenorth
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Brewed this today. Got an OG of 1.078! I'm new to all grain and have been doing BIAB, and I think I might have cut the water a little short. I'm actually pretty stoked about the higher OG, I've done a few batches where I screwed up and it was too weak so I'm happy to be on the stronger side for now. Looking forward to bottling this in a few weeks and enjoying it in early 2013. Thanks again for the recipe.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
bobeer
Easy Ridin' Danger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieofthenorth View Post
Brewed this today. Got an OG of 1.078! I'm new to all grain and have been doing BIAB, and I think I might have cut the water a little short. I'm actually pretty stoked about the higher OG, I've done a few batches where I screwed up and it was too weak so I'm happy to be on the stronger side for now. Looking forward to bottling this in a few weeks and enjoying it in early 2013. Thanks again for the recipe.
Brewed this again this past weekend. I wanted to go for an imperial version so I upped the grist a little. My OG was about 1.080 almost 1.082. Was like motor oil! I added some unsweetened bakers chocolate too for good measure. The regular batch I did a few months ago came out great so I have high hopes for the imperial version.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Daddy_Hawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Chocolate amount

I just brewed this one yesterday, upped the marris otter to 12# as I usually end up brewing a 6 gallon batch (and lose some in trub/bottling), but wondered how much and what kind of chocolate have you guys used?

I put in 8 oz of Ghiardeli 100% cacao bakers chocolate right at flameout.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #26
bobeer
Easy Ridin' Danger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I use unsweetened bakers chocolate; don't recall what brand though. Usually about an ounce per gallon.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tried this for the first time today. Just finished up. Hit an OG of 1.064. My only miss was a mash temp of 154, I got up to 156(was shooting for 158). Hopefully it will be full bodied enough. I am stoked to try this one out. My first oatmeal stout. I cannot wait to get this on tap.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
D_Nyholm
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've been trying to find a nice roasty oatmeal stout for a while now. Looks like this simple recipe may fit the bill. Going to brew up 2.5 gallons when I free up a fermenter! Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
D_Nyholm
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am also looking for a recommendation for the best yeast to use with this? I have access to s04,05, Nottingham, and wyeast at my lhbs. I would prefer to stick with a dry, so I was thinking s04, but I have really been happy with Nottingham in my other beers, any reason to choose one over the other?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
Biggles
Recipes 

I just racked this to secondary and split it to make one half an espresso stout. It was really thin tasting at this point, hopefully that changes.