Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cranberry Beer

Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
alex_wilkosz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cranberry Beer

I am an extract brewer wondering if anyone has a good Cranberry Beer recipe!

Thanks! Trying to find something the SWMBO would like that is not a regular beer

I looked in the threads and didnt find much info and was wondering if anyone could help me out here

Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Most wine and LHBS will have extract bottles that are supposed ot be used to give that extra fruit kick to wines. a half a bottle of raspberry extract to any well balanced beer will give it a nice fruity taste. But if the beer is already acidic this might over do it. I would go with just and ounce in a light american ale or amber. Stouts and porters, give it a bump up. I used apple in an amber and it was outstanding.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have tried adding cranberry juice (100%, not cocktail) in varying amounts from 5% to 33% in the primary, and this was not particularly good. I think I will try racking onto actual cranberries in secondary and see what that's like.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I have tried adding cranberry juice (100%, not cocktail) in varying amounts from 5% to 33% in the primary, and this was not particularly good. I think I will try racking onto actual cranberries in secondary and see what that's like.
Would you crush/puree the whole cranberries or drop in whole? I'm contemplating a Cranberry Kolsch and am stuck on how/when to introduce the cranberries... I'm also wondering if some sort of sweetening agent needs to be introduced as cranberries arent really all that sweet on their own...

Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried cranberries once, in a Dubbel. Put the cranberries in a pot with a bit of water, heated it up, and quasi-pureed them with an immersion blender. I dumped this into the secondary.

The end product was...okay. Not my best. Even with two big bags of cranberries, you don't get much cranberry flavor, it just adds a strange tartness to the beer.

You can try the concentrated cranberry flavoring. I believe AHS carries it still. That might get better results without the tart notes.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

eh. maybe cranberries just aren't meant to go in beer.......

Old 11-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
The end product was...okay. Not my best. Even with two big bags of cranberries, you don't get much cranberry flavor, it just adds a strange tartness to the beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBonger View Post
eh. maybe cranberries just aren't meant to go in beer.......
+1 to both

I just racked the Cranberry Zinger from BYO to a keg, and it is not tasting too hot. Tart and I'm not sure what else, it just doesn't taste very good. Maybe age will help, but I'm not overly hopeful. I added my cranberries after processing them into a rough relish and chucked them into secondary.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have the BYO cranberry zinger on tap right now. It is definitely tart, but with enough carbonization, it has a creaminess that counters the tartness. It's supposed to be highly carbed, but I only have it on 10PSI since it shares the same pressure with other beers, but I am guessing that the creaminess would come out even more with higher carbing.

It also mellowed out over the last few weeks.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Sastrugi
Recipes 

I made an extract cranberry beer last Christmas that is one of the best beers I've ever done (granted, that doesn't mean too much coming from a noob). I dumped two pounds of whole cranberries into the wort after I took it off the heat and left them in until I racked to secondary a week later (fast! hey, it was like my fourth batch ever -- what did I know?). I thought I'd screwed myself by not crushing the berries, but actually I think that saved it -- I got a rose-colored, somewhat fruity beer but not too tart. A month later I brought a bunch to a family Christmas in Maine and it was a huge hit. I went back to Maine for another family get-together seven months later and there were a couple hidden in the pantry -- not surprisingly, it was even better than before.

"When the world is too dark and I need the light inside of me
I'll walk into a bar and drink fifteen pints of beer"
-Shane MacGowan

Old 11-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBonger View Post
Would you crush/puree the whole cranberries or drop in whole?
I was going to put them in a freezer [bag] and put through a couple of freeze/thaw cycles to bust them up a bit, then maybe squish the bag before adding to secondary.

Reason: s/back/bag/