Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > 4.6 cu ft Fridge to 10.1 cu ft Fermentation Chamber Conversion

Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #31
metaltim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well I'm knew to home brewing, my first ale I did the bath tub ice bath.. but man lots of work switching out gallon jugs twice a day, plus all the room they take up in the freezer..

This looks like a life saver. And ever so conveniently, I am redoing my kitchen right now, so I have an assortment of kitchen cabinets at my disposal that I was already planning on putting up in the garage..
I'm thinking of using my old sink base, plopping a mini fridge in there and sealing it all up. Basically would look just like you have it there, but all enclosed in the sink base, and using the cabinet door for access. A little concerned whether or not a mini fridge could cool a 10sq ft. volume like that (I'm in houston, about 105 degrees out today.)
And this would be in my oven, I mean my garage.

Lots of different configurations come to mind, I'll have to think about it for a while.

But anyway, this looks great..

Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #32
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been loving the set up. I did mine under a table in my kitchen and not having to change out frozen bottles is awesome.

I insulated mine with foam board on the top and all the sides. Then took the door completely off and pushed it up against the left end of the table.

SWMOB is painting the outside so it looks nice. She is trying to make some hop trellises.

The only issues I have had is condensation. I put a towel in under the freezer section. That was ok but it would still start running across the floor after a while. So I put some damp rid in there and that has been keeping it under control so far.

Does anyone have any idea for keeping the condensation down on the coils of the freezer?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #33
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

you need to seal it better.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #34
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen25 View Post
you need to seal it better.
Would just sealing all of the corners and seems with some tape would be good enough? I am thinking painters tape because that easly comes off.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
bertman
Recipes 

I have been thinking about this kind of idea for a solution to my fermentation. I was wondering if this type of chamber would be able to keep up in 120+ weather in an Arizona garage to ferment ales or is there a better solution any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #36
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
I have been thinking about this kind of idea for a solution to my fermentation. I was wondering if this type of chamber would be able to keep up in 120+ weather in an Arizona garage to ferment ales or is there a better solution any help would be greatly appreciated.
I can't say. It works great for me, but ambient temps don't even get much above 70. I know there are quite a few others here who have built similar chambers driven by small fridges so maybe some of those folks could help?

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #37
bertman
Recipes 

thanks for the reply i am just getting into this as a new hobby and I am trying to learn as much as i can to bve successful

Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #38
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey TH, How'd you mount the fan? Have any better pics?

I'm in the process of building one almost like yours and just want some more ideas.

Thanks!
paul

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 02-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
Hey TH, How'd you mount the fan? Have any better pics?

I'm in the process of building one almost like yours and just want some more ideas.

Thanks!
paul
I don't have any pics but I mounted the fan on a couple of rubber isolators that are attached to an aluminum bar and then used this double stick tape: http://www.mcmaster.com/#76675a21/=5nm493 to attach it to a ledge in the back of the fridge. The tape holds extremely well but it is also very expensive. I use it for lots of projects. The other parts I got from the scrap cabinet at work.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #40
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks. I think I may mount it right to the cooling coil tray thingy (great description, eh?)

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns