Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dextrin malts in lieu of Higher Mash temp for body

Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5876 Times on 5107 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Dextrin malts in lieu of Higher Mash temp for body

In looking through recipe files here on HBT I see a judicious use of Cara or Dextrin malts. While I haven't seen any definite patterns on mash temps there is a slight tendancy towards a "Medium Body" mash temp when the Cara malts are used.

Why?

I have never used the Cara malts instead of targeting my mash temp for a dextrinous body and I am curious why so many opt to use them.

Do you get a more predictable FG when using Cara malts for the body rather than mashing appropriately?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been told to use carapils or flaked wheat for improved head retention. I use the carapils for a medium body beer, flaked wheat for a light bodied beer. About a half pound for a 5 gallon batch. I haven't done any experiments without, and I'm happy with the results, so I figure why mess with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think Sacc. hit the nail on the head. I suspect most homebrewers use it mostly because that is the way they learned to brew and haven't changed.

I don't use carapils. Instead, I'll mash appropriately, as you say, to get the body I want in a beer. I prefer simple, traditional recipes, so I'll always omit carapils where ever I find it.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #119 American Brown, #120 American Pale
Planned: IPA, Wheat

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven View Post
I think Sacc. hit the nail on the head. I suspect most homebrewers use it mostly because that is the way they learned to brew and haven't changed.

I don't use carapils. Instead, I'll mash appropriately, as you say, to get the body I want in a beer. I prefer simple, traditional recipes, so I'll always omit carapils where ever I find it.
+1 I do the same thing. I figured if I could get what I was looking for through mashing then I should go ahead and do it. One less ingredient to try and keep in stock if nothing else.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

I believe that Cara-pils not only brings dextrins to the wort, but also proteins, which aid in head formation/retention. So, all other things being equal, mashing higher will just give you the dextrins, while using Cara-pils will give you both dextrins and proteins. But I suspect it's not even quite as simple as that.