Please Critique my Bitter Buddy Honey Ale - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Please Critique my Bitter Buddy Honey Ale

Old 05-16-2005, 04:43 AM   #11
Barley Sober
Mar 2005
Columbus, MS.

flavor will all be scurbbed off unless you add the honey in the last 5 minutes of the boil

Bah, I just used honey today in my brew. I put it in as an initial ingredient in the boil. I hate to hear that the flavor will be keeled off... Is there any possibility of getting a honey flavor post boil? Could it be that there is a way to add some to the secondary or so? If this is probable, what measures would have to be taken for sanitation?
Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #12

I just got around to bottling it about a week ago, so it still needs time to carbonate. Last Sunday, I tried one just to see how it was coming along. I think this will be a nice, summer ale once the carbonation is complete. Even thought it was relatively flat, I finished the whole 12 ounces!

It had a nice, slightly sweet taste, only a hint of hop aroma, was a bit dry and finished clean. I think - or hope - that, after another three weeks or so for it to carbonate and mellow out, some of that sweetness will subside and the hop aroma will come out a little more.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #13
Sir Sudster
May 2005
Buda, Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The best research I have found for using honey is to pasteurize it @170 DegF for 2.5 hrs. Then add to your primary at prime fermentation. You can do this by putting the honey in a sauce pan with a lid. heat to 170 Deg F on stove top then put it in a preheated oven 170 Deg F covered for 2.5 hours. Then leave the cover on and let it cool. Add the honey to the primary at the hieght of fermentation. The document I found said that you will lose most if not all the honey flavor in the boil. It went on to say honey will ferment completely. I plan to do this next week. I will let you know how well it worked.

Your bittering hops appear weak. I am assuming you are brewing 5 gallons.
Since the alpha acids of Cascade are much lower usually 5.4 -5.7 % they are best for flavor and aroma. I would double your bittering amount if using Cascade.

Try using 3/4 oz Centennial then add 1 oz Cascade for flavor and 1 oz Cascade for aroma.

My 2 cents.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
Is there any possibility of getting a honey flavor post boil?
Make an unflavored mead!

I've made about 7 batches. Never had a bad mead yet.
HB Bill

Old 06-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #15

My friend and I had a few bottles of this over the holiday weekend and really liked it. It is a good summer beer with a very, very light honey flavor. It's pretty clean overall. Any typical MGD or Bud drinkers who are skeptical of trying a homebrew would like this, I would think. For the next batch I would like a bit more hop profile and will probably take your advice on the hop schedule, DBAib12.

I also might add the honey later in the boil, maybe during the last 10-15 minutes. I want a light honey flavor, but not the strength of something like a mead. Other than those two items, I wouldn't change anything.