So, it appears that my first foray into yeast harvesting was a success. I first did the tough job of drinking 3 bottles of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, swirled and poured out the last bit into a sanitized two-liter growler, added the contents of a capsule of yeast fuel (Austin Homebrew Supply's BrewVint), and about a liter of 1.040 starter wort. I know this might have been a lot of wort, but whatever. Stuck a stopper in the top and an airlock, and swirled it around whenever I had a chance.
That was Monday. This morning (Wednesday), krausen is beginning to form. Success! (I hope). Bell's Two-Hearted clone to be brewed on Sunday. mmmmm
So for all of you who want to try bottle harvesting, it can be done. There are more scientific and precise ways of doing it than I did, but as I lack a stirplate (NoClueBrewmaster is still laboring in the stirplate mines), as well as slants and petri dishes, I went with what seemed reasonable.
Now to go be unreasonable for the rest of the day.
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."
Join DC Homebrewers
"Fermentation Without Representation"