Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > MoreBeer Vs. AHBS

Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #11
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Austin Homebrew has $6.99 flat rate and NB has $7.99. We don't charge extra to mill grain, but B3 and NB do charge for milling.

Forrest

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 AM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I simply buy two brews at a time at B3... so I get free shipping. I am also not buying anything that I normally wouldnt, I just buy two brews at a time. Doing so I have found a 25%-30% savings over most stores, Midwest Supplies is the closest in pricing. Basically, if you plan your brew sessions, you can save A LOT at B3, if you dont plan your brew sessions, then you can basically shop anywhere, but Midwest Supplies has good prices and shipping, they are almost always #2 in price when I order.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

Sometimes price isn't as important as supporting awesome businesses, for the 1 dollar or 2 dollar difference, or for the better ingredients...

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com
Twitter: BoozyBeggarChi
www.facebook.com/theboozybeggar

Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #14
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFeldman79 View Post
Sometimes price isn't as important as supporting awesome businesses, for the 1 dollar or 2 dollar difference, or for the better ingredients...

What if for (2) brews it was a $20 difference? Id have to say, I have ordered from ALL of the BIG 4 and I have not noticed any difference in the quality of thier ingredients of the beers they produce. They are all top notch stuff.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Dude, Keep Austin Weird! Support Local Businesses!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
morebeer is a good store, but i am not a fan of their crush. it grinds the **** outta those poor little kernels.

also, if you're buying specialty grains, they've probably been stored already crushed for weeks. i would buy uncrushed specialty grains and just roll a bottle over them.

EDIT: i know this because i've been to their showroom/warehouse many a time. i've never been to or ordered from AHS.
Great, I just finished pressing the "Place Order" button that included grain to be crushed by B3 and includes a couple pounds of specialty grains.

I guess if my expectations are down, maybe they will come through

Oh well, I got a bunch of other stuff of course, ya know had to get to that $60 barrier and went way beyond, they do have too much good stuff.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 129 Posts

they're probably fine. i've used grains that were weeks old (crushed) with no problems.

it's just that whether i am cooking or brewing...it's usually best to use the freshest ingredients possible.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never ordered from b3, but I can attest to ordering from austinhomebrew.com. They have quality products and their prices are in the same range as most online suppliers. Lately though I've been ordering from The Grape and Granary.

It used to be that I could place an order at AHS on Monday and have it in plenty of time to brew with for the weekend. Granted, I have most of what I need already in stock, but if, on a whim, I decide to do a couple of styles that I need yeast for I either need to look elsewhere or allow for at least 6-7 days if I order from AHS.

Of course I realize that I'm in a standard 3 day shipping zone from Austin, but that's not the issue. It seems like orders used to take a max of 1 day to get filled and now it's just about a 2 day minimum on the last few orders that I've placed. Sometimes that day makes all the difference in the world when you have a wife and 4 kids and need the stars to align just right sometimes for you to get a brewday in.

The Grape and Granary charges actual shipping, but if you compare the total cost of the order vs. anyplace that offers flat rate shipping it works out to be relatively the same for me since I'm in OH and being in OH, I typically get my orders the next day if I order before 1pm.

Having said all that, there are just some things that no one else carries and must be purchased from Forrest. His inventory is quite amazing.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I simply buy two brews at a time at B3... so I get free shipping. I am also not buying anything that I normally wouldnt, I just buy two brews at a time. Doing so I have found a 25%-30% savings over most stores, Midwest Supplies is the closest in pricing. Basically, if you plan your brew sessions, you can save A LOT at B3, if you dont plan your brew sessions, then you can basically shop anywhere, but Midwest Supplies has good prices and shipping, they are almost always #2 in price when I order.
I am with you on this, I just made a order and upped my fermentation equipment and ingredients for the Orange APA that you have in your secondary, oh and a few other little things too.

If I am happy with this order, I think this may be a common thing to just get 2 batches worth, I can't keeping buying buckets, carboys and BBs each time

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
BrewVegas
Recipes 

Default West Coast Supplies?

I normally order from Midwest Supplies as an extract brewer. I’m almost finished building my single tier and will be going AG soon. I moved to Vegas and am looking for a supplier that won’t kill me on shipping when I start ordering a lot of grain. Any suggestions?