Mini Mash System for Extract Brewers - Page 27 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mini Mash System for Extract Brewers
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 03:09 PM   #261
cheezydemon
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
The "Ville"
Posts: 1,916
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


SORRY, LATE CHIMING IN BUT.....

I wonder if a bag (muslin, cheesecloth, whatever they are) placed over the spigot inside the cooler by way of tying it up tight with a brick sized object in it, poking a small hole in the bag, putting the post of the spigot through the hole with the washer and nut actually inside the bag. Damn I need a picture.
So the bag would be held in place by the washer and nut inside the cooler. It would be kept out of the intake for the spigot by the brick(or whatever) and would create a seamless filter around the spigot. It would have to be replaced each time, but they are 60 cents at the brew store.

Any thoughts? did I describe it well enough?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #262
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,875
Liked 158 Times on 84 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
SORRY, LATE CHIMING IN BUT.....

I wonder if a bag (muslin, cheesecloth, whatever they are) placed over the spigot inside the cooler by way of tying it up tight with a brick sized object in it, poking a small hole in the bag, putting the post of the spigot through the hole with the washer and nut actually inside the bag. Damn I need a picture.
So the bag would be held in place by the washer and nut inside the cooler. It would be kept out of the intake for the spigot by the brick(or whatever) and would create a seamless filter around the spigot. It would have to be replaced each time, but they are 60 cents at the brew store.

Any thoughts? did I describe it well enough?
A photo would be helpful!


__________________
Cheers,
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #263
cheezydemon
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
The "Ville"
Posts: 1,916
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Indeed. I guess I need to try it and take some pics. I will let you know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #264
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Doog_Si_Reeb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 841
Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts


So after reading all 27 pages of this excellent thread, I ordered the three gallon water cooler from Rubbermaid. I'm slightly irritated at how they are taking their sweet-a$$ time to "process" the order I placed last week, but I'm staying positive and looking forward to my first partial mash brew. I am going to try the cooler and grain bag method that was highlighted in a previous post and is well detailed at the following URL

http://byo.com/feature/1536.html

I like the idea of minimal modification, at least for the first batch, but am curious how much that method lacks compared to the other methods that have been mentioned....

I'm shooting for a nice subtle ESB, very similar to the one listed at the bottom of that link. Depending on the arrival of my new equipment, I hope to get it going in about 1.5 weeks.
__________________
Uff Da Picobrewery

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #265
bigben
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
My House
Posts: 522
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Cool man, good luck. PM brewing is fun. I've done 1 so far. I got a 5 gallon round cooler though and put a stainless steel braid in it. I mashed 6.5lbs of grain in it with PLENTY of room to spare. I think about 6.5 lbs would be your MAX that you could mash in there with a 1.25 qt/lb mash....I think. My math is a bit fuzzy this morning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #266
moterhead63
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Posts: 7

This is my first post and I have been brewing for about a year now and ill be brewing for the rest of my life. I will consider my self a brewer after my first AG, I had been doing extract brews and liked them, My second brew was a lager and was and still is one one the very best beers Ive ever had,I always add spec grains and used a grain bag, I knew I was getting flavor but not very efective, I made a minimash tun out of a rubbermaid 5 gallon cooler and have another for the sparge water,I put a fitting toward the top and made a vent tube that runs under my mash screen which happens to be a plastic corander from the dollar store and i got a section of quater inch clear hose and after I took a pair of snips and trimed the corander to fit,I cut the hose the whole length and wraped it around the corander so it fits snugly in the cooler I made my own sparge arm as well have less than a hundred bucks in it and I couldn't be happier with it, on my first mash I did a decoction mash and had fun doing it at the end of the process I did my sparge and when my wort ran clear I was impressed, I figure my ifficiency went from 35 to 40 % to 85 to 90% which over the long haul will be well worth the investment in grain saveings and I made a high gravity porter a while back and i did the grain bag thing with 5 pounds of differant types of grain and that was A pain, have a great day and keep on brewing,


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #267
doubleb
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Milford, CT
Posts: 239
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I just bought the stuff at HD and am wondering how to take apart the hose w/ the SS braid. I have limited tools. Please post how you did this. Thanks

Doog_Si_Reeb....

I got my rubbermaid cooler on the 8th business day after ordering and figure the shipping took 3 days. Rubbermaid never sent a email confermentation or a tracking number. I noticed that they took my payment on the 3rd business day but I got it now and all is good again.
__________________
Next:
Primary:Hoppiness
Secondary:
Kegged:Brown Ale
Bottled:


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #268
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,875
Liked 158 Times on 84 Posts


I cut the ends of mine off with a tubing cutter. To get the vinyl tubing out of the stainless braid it works best to push the braid off. If you try pulling it tightens the braid and it won't budge. If you push the braid it actually loosens it.
__________________
Cheers,
Rich

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #269
PseudoChef
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,401
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
Cool man, good luck. PM brewing is fun. I've done 1 so far. I got a 5 gallon round cooler though and put a stainless steel braid in it. I mashed 6.5lbs of grain in it with PLENTY of room to spare. I think about 6.5 lbs would be your MAX that you could mash in there with a 1.25 qt/lb mash....I think. My math is a bit fuzzy this morning.
You just said you had plenty of room to spare but it would be your max? Fuzzy, indeed

I just mashed 9 lbs at 1.25 qts/lb yesterday without a hitch. I think I could even go to 10 or 11, but then I wouldn't be able to mash-out, which may or may not be a big deal, I dunno.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:20 AM   #270
bigben
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
My House
Posts: 522
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
You just said you had plenty of room to spare but it would be your max? Fuzzy, indeed

I just mashed 9 lbs at 1.25 qts/lb yesterday without a hitch. I think I could even go to 10 or 11, but then I wouldn't be able to mash-out, which may or may not be a big deal, I dunno.
not me ya dingbat. I was referring to the 3 gallon cooler.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st PM with the Mini-Mash System MX1 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 11-17-2008 07:12 AM
Extract VS Mini-Mash? pcolson Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 08-05-2008 05:21 PM
mini mash or extract? Jah Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 01-29-2008 11:51 PM
Mini-Mash vs. Extract Kit mdowns63 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 11-08-2007 08:34 PM
Mini-Mash vs Extract madrean Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 12-22-2005 05:39 PM


Forum Jump