Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Made myself a "proper" mash tun this weekend

Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
phissionkorps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Made myself a "proper" mash tun this weekend

I based it on flyangler's design, except apparently SS 4/8" fender washers don't exist in Fort Worth, so I had to use 5/8" rubber washers instead. The bulkhead wiggles a bit, and leaks 2 or 3 drops an hour, but until I find SS washers, I'll deal with that.
Last weekend I did a BIAB, and got 69% efficiency. Temps were all over, and I spilled some though.
Last night I did my first "proper" all grain. Whew! I didn't know it would take that long. I used the double decoction in Kaiser's video, got temps a bit better, and somehow managed an 86% efficiency. I still need to figure out my evaporation rate as this time I ended up with approx 5.33 gallons after a 90 minute boil. However, I am still brewing on an apartment stove, so I guess there's nothing I can do about that besides moving outside, which is sort of out of the question since I live in an apartment.

Btw....anyone have any clue where I can get 5/8" SS fender washers? Parts numbers, etc would be appreciated.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I based it on flyangler's design
Credit where credit is due. FlyGuy is responsible for the design, not me!

Actually, I've used the same rubber washers in my MLT. I believe Fastenal is the source that you need for the 5/8" fender washers.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
snazzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

isn't a 4/8" a 1/2" washer maybe that is why you could not find it

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2964 Times on 1741 Posts
Likes Given: 3588

Actually I gave him the info for the 5/8 SS and he updated the parts list with the info/link to mail order or shop if there's a fastenal in your area...

5/8" x 1 3/4" 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer | Fastenal

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Credit where credit is due. FlyGuy is responsible for the design, not me!
LOL whoops! Didn't remember there were multiple "Fly_____'s" :P

Thanks for the link Revvy. I knew fastenal had them, but I was really looking for someone to hook me up with a link or parts number like that. Otherwise, with my luck, I absolutely would've ordered one that somehow wouldn't work. Happens every time haha.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I substituted some old hard drive parts for the washers on mine. Leaks just a bit (< 1tsp/hour) but I'll eventually find some proper washers I hope. You never know where you will find something that will work.

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 3

AutoZone sells 5/8" washers. They are about $1.50 each. You have to ask for them, they are in the back behind the counter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2964 Times on 1741 Posts
Likes Given: 3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
AutoZone sells 5/8" washers. They are about $1.50 each. You have to ask for them, they are in the back behind the counter...

I wish you would have told the kid who worked at MY autozone that...It would have saved me a lot of driving around...he just pointed me to a spinning rack that has nothing that large on it....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew