Recipe Requests: Partial Mash Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout Clones - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe Requests: Partial Mash Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout Clones

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts



Hey folks, me again. Looking to gather my info for a second homebrew. I'm looking for something that doesn't take too long (no more than a month from brew to drink) and was thinking about a Stone IPA and Bison Chocolate Stout clone since I love them both. I want to do partial mash and a 5 gallon batch. For refferance, my grain options are here and my yeast options are over here with this as my sugars. I am hoping to use DME. Thanks in advance, you guys really helped me out for the last batch.
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, Iím a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
chefchris
 
chefchris's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,713
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


There's the Green Brewing issue of BYO Magazine that has the recipe for the Bison Chocolate stout in it. It came out 2 or 3 issues ago.
__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,535
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts


The website has this for the stout

OG 1.058, 17 IBU, 2-row, carmel, chocolate, roast barley, and munich malts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


I'd make the stout, if I needed it ready in a month. An IPA recipe would be pretty bitter and harsh in only 4 weeks. If you could wait 6 weeks, though, I'd make the Stone IPA clone.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
There's the Green Brewing issue of BYO Magazine that has the recipe for the Bison Chocolate stout in it. It came out 2 or 3 issues ago.
I checked their website and it's not up there. I'll double check my local mag shop and see if they still have that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
The website has this for the stout

OG 1.058, 17 IBU, 2-row, carmel, chocolate, roast barley, and munich malts.
I'm just a beginner and do not know how to really formulate a recipe from just that info
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I'd make the stout, if I needed it ready in a month. An IPA recipe would be pretty bitter and harsh in only 4 weeks. If you could wait 6 weeks, though, I'd make the Stone IPA clone.
I can wait 6 weeks.
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, Iím a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
chefchris
 
chefchris's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,713
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


Sorry I was in the middle of a brew day and didn't have time to type it out.

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

7.5 lbs organic 2-row pale malt
1.5 lbs organic munich malt
2 lbs organic CaraMunich malt
1 lbs organic chocolate malt
.5 lbs organic roasted barley
1.0 oz cocoa

6 AAU Magnum hops (60 min)
(0.5 oz of 12% alpha acids)
2 AAU Cascade hops (2 min)
(0.4 oz of 5% alpha acids)

ale yeast (Bison uses a proprietary strain and suggests you use an alt yeast)
(1.5qt/1.5 L yeast starter)

0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Mash at 152F. To mash in, add one-third of the grains and stir in the cocoa. Layer remaining two-thirds of grain bed over this. Boil for 75-90 minutes. Ferment at 70F.

You can just put that into BeerSmith and convert it to PM. They give an extract recipe as well so let me know if you need that.
__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Sorry I was in the middle of a brew day and didn't have time to type it out.

All Grain
OG-1.058
FG- 1.020
IBU- 25
SRM- 67
ABV- 4.8%

7.5 lbs organic 2-row pale malt
1.5 lbs organic munich malt
2 lbs organic CaraMunich malt
1 lbs organic chocolate malt
.5 lbs organic roasted barley
1.0 oz cocoa

6 AAU Magnum hops (60 min)
(0.5 oz of 12% alpha acids)
2 AAU Cascade hops (2 min)
(0.4 oz of 5% alpha acids)

ale yeast (Bison uses a proprietary strain and suggests you use an alt yeast)
(1.5qt/1.5 L yeast starter)

0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Mash at 152F. To mash in, add one-third of the grains and stir in the cocoa. Layer remaining two-thirds of grain bed over this. Boil for 75-90 minutes. Ferment at 70F.

You can just put that into BeerSmith and convert it to PM. They give an extract recipe as well so let me know if you need that.
Thanks for typing that up! I don't have the money to purchase BeerSmith...although I might download the demo and poke around...

What's a ggood replacement for Magnum hops...I can't seem to find them locally right now (stupid hops shortage...).
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, Iím a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
chefchris
 
chefchris's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,713
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Thanks for typing that up! I don't have the money to purchase BeerSmith...although I might download the demo and poke around...

What's a ggood replacement for Magnum hops...I can't seem to find them locally right now (stupid hops shortage...).
Time to go AG!

I looked up Magnum in BeerSmith but under substitutes is says "N/A".

I'm sure someone else will know a good substitution.
__________________
staygoldBREWING

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
imaguitargod
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,002
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Time to go AG!
HA! God would I love to, but I don't have the money to invest in that ambitious project at the moment...plus I want to get some more experience in on the Partial Mash brewing.
__________________
Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, Iím a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,763
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Time to go AG!

I looked up Magnum in BeerSmith but under substitutes is says "N/A".

I'm sure someone else will know a good substitution.
How about Perle, or Nothern Brewer, or Galena?

Those would give you a clean bittering, and have the German characteristics.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chocolate Milk stout recipe (partial mash) Thoughts? Danny_P Recipes/Ingredients 10 02-01-2009 06:49 AM
BrownieBites' Chocolate Oatmeal Stout partial mash recipe bernerbrau Recipes/Ingredients 14 01-28-2009 02:19 PM
Partial Mash recipe for Wheat Stout syd138 Recipes/Ingredients 6 11-30-2008 04:49 PM
extract/partial mash oatmeal stout recipe castillo Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-23-2008 09:43 PM
Bison Brewing Chocolate Stout McKBrew Commercial Brew Discussion 4 03-24-2007 10:47 PM


Forum Jump