HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need Input on tweaking an ale recipe

Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
kahunaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need Input on tweaking an ale recipe

A few weeks ago I ordered all of the ingredients from Austin Home Brew to make a pumpkin ale. Now that I'm pumpkin ale'd out... I have no desire to make a pumpkin ale. I am hoping that if I post the ingredients I have here, someone can give me an idea of what sort of ale it will turn out to be if I leave out the pumpkin and pumpkin spice... along with any suggestions to tweak up the recipe and make something delicious out of it ---- that is not pumpkin.

Here goes..
Precrushed Grains (already blended and in a bag for steeping
-1/2 lb Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L
1/2 Lb Cara-Munich

Extract:
6 LB Extra Pale Extract
1 LB Munich Extract

Hops
1 oz Yakima Golding - split for bittering and flavor.

Yeast: Wyeast London Ale 1028

I'm sure just these ingredients would be great together. They look pretty solid. I am very open to either leaving this as is, or making it into a christmas ale, but have no idea how to do that - ie which spices when, etc.

Cheers;
Tom

Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Your grains and extract list looks yummy! I worry that the hops will be a bit light, though. I'd get another ounce; variety doesn't matter, but I'd choose something with mid-range AA%, like Challenger, Northern Brewer, or Perle. Use those for bittering, and split the Goldings for flavor and aroma, a half-ounce each added at 20 and 5 minutes left in the boil.

Should you decide to experiment with spices, you can make a tea (of the spices in hot water, strained) and add to taste at bottling time. This will permit you to bottle some of the beer without spice, just for kicks.

Bob

Old 11-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Your grains and extract list looks yummy! I worry that the hops will be a bit light, though. I'd get another ounce; variety doesn't matter, but I'd choose something with mid-range AA%, like Challenger, Northern Brewer, or Perle. Use those for bittering, and split the Goldings for flavor and aroma, a half-ounce each added at 20 and 5 minutes left in the boil.

Should you decide to experiment with spices, you can make a tea (of the spices in hot water, strained) and add to taste at bottling time. This will permit you to bottle some of the beer without spice, just for kicks.

Bob
Bob.
Your last bit of advice made me sign up as a site supporter. This feedback is great as well. Thanks a ton. I will pick up some hops and play with it a bit. I also like the idea of making the tea... I'll fire up 1/2 case and see whats happening.
Much appreciated.
What sort of beer will this be at that point? I can't really determine it from the ingredients yet.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The recipe right now looks kinda like a very low hopped pale ale. Add some more finishing hops in there. I would go with the classic centinneal and cascade combo and make a nice pale ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent. I can pick up some more hops today and have some fun with it.
Thanks again to all!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
kahunaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Perfect

My LHBS is now open and i"m on my way!