Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No-boil vs extract

Old 11-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
sharpstick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default No-boil vs extract

I've made a few extract kits(Brewer's Best) and have been pretty happy with the process.
However, I recently heard about no boil kits that take about 1.5 hours compared to 4 for brewing and look to be less messy and involved.
I plan to still do extract and may move up to all grain eventually, but would like to have a quick alternative so my supply can keep up with my needs.
Does anyone have any observations on this process, recommendations for brands, etc.?

Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6240 Times on 4446 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I've made a few extract kits(Brewer's Best) and have been pretty happy with the process.
However, I recently heard about no boil kits that take about 1.5 hours compared to 4 for brewing and look to be less messy and involved.
I plan to still do extract and may move up to all grain eventually, but would like to have a quick alternative so my supply can keep up with my needs.
Does anyone have any observations on this process, recommendations for brands, etc.?
I did a no-boil kit ages ago. It was one of those where you dissolve the prehopped extract in water, and add some sugar and stir and then ferment. I thought it was awful, but my best friend liked it and she and her husband drank the entire batch for me. It was a kit in a can (I think it was a John Bull kit, but I honestly don't remember) that made 6 gallons.

It did taste quite a bit like beer, but had an odd taste to it as well. I much preferred the Brewer's Best kits I was also doing at that time. I always had good results with those, and went back to them until I started making my own recipes.

It's a long day if it takes 4 hours for you! Maybe there are some ways to still brew the best kits you can, but to shave hours off of your time. I don't think it ever took me more than 1.5 hours to do an extract kit. It takes me about 4- 4.5 hours for an AG batch. If you want to figure out how to be quicker, maybe we could help.

I think there have been several people who have done no-boil kits and liked them, though, so hopefully they'll chime in with some encouraging words.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I started brewing earlier this year with a bunch of the canned kit before moving on to Brewers Best and other kits. For most of these I just added the 5 cups destrose and a few I added DME plus a smaller amount dextrose.
These kits are definitely quick to make -- I did 3 in one evening once.
YMMV, but here's a few of my favorites:
  • Coopers Australian Pale Ale
  • Brewmart Czech Pilsner
I brewed these 2 both as just the kit + 5 cups dextrose. I still have sixer of each left (bottle age 8 months). Both of these were excellent beers right from the start.
  • Ironmaster Northern Brown Ale
  • Coopers Bavarian Lager (now discontinued, but replaced by European Lager)
Both of these brewed with DME + a couple cups of dextrose. I just threw in what I had laying around so I'm sure the style is off, but they still taste good!
Looking back at my notes, for the Bavarian Lager, I added 1# Light DME & 3/4# Amber DME & 1/2 cup dextrose. For the Northern Brown Ale, I added 2 1/4# Amber DME & 1 cup dextrose. I also divided up an ounce of Spalt Select hops between these 2 batches so I had to boils these for a while. Both of these kits turned out great!

I know there are a lot of complaints about cidery flavors with these kind of kits due to the amount of dextrose. I think in many cases, a good compromise would be to use 1# DME + 3 cups dextrose rather than 5 cups dextrose.

Let us know how this turns out for you.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
1foru2forme
Recipes 

IMO Coopers Extract kits are the best. Just dissolve in water with 2 lbs of honey and ferment 4-9 days longer is better then bottle and wait 3 weeks. That easy takes me about 25min by myself. Clean up is easy and Heartshomebrew.com has a special buy 6 get 1 free! On any kits!