Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Want to roll on a Gulden Draak type brew

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #31
TerapinChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So after doing a side by side tasting of the Real Deal and the HB'd version here's what I got.
AROMA
GD: smells of raisins, caramel, brown sugar
TC: Peach, slight hay aroma.
APPEARANCE
GD: Deep deep brown. good thick head pale brown in color.
TC: Head similar color, dissapating quicker. WAY TOO LIGHT. This thing is nowhere near 24 SRM, maybe 1/2 that?
FLAVOR
GD: Prune, caramel, plum, fairly sweet on pallette. Not as dry as I expected. Finishes with a touch of acidity.
TC: Light peach comes through, hopped more noticably than original. Slightly bready, a hint of malt. Too thin in comparison, and too dry as well.
MOUTHFEEL
GD: Mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and coating.
TC: Dry, thin, clean
OVERALL IMPRESSION
GD: Thick, sweet, a good "single drinker" Good balance between roast/crystal and sweetness. A bit of creme brulee flavor leaves me wanting more, and carbonation, I feel, is very low for style.
TC: Thin, but dry to balance. Good carbonation (in this bottle) really delivers the flavors of bread and fruit well.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

SO basically although it wasn't a golden Drak clone, it was a nice belgian beer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #33
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

BTW guys, we are pretty sure the Wyeast 3739-PC Flanders Golden Ale strain that was released this summer is their primary yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
pcameron92
Recipes 

Default Different yeasts?

Revvy, you made a comment about different yeast in the bottle than regular fermentation...explain please

PC

Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #35
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcameron92 View Post
Revvy, you made a comment about different yeast in the bottle than regular fermentation...explain please

PC
I know I am not Revvy but I was doing some research on the subject and thought I would share what I learned. Many breweries that bottle condition will bottle with a different strain of yeast to carb their beer. I'm pretty sure it's because the alcohol content of the finished product is more than their primary strain can work in. They will usually bottle with a yeast strain that can work at a higher alcohol concentration. It's good to find out if the beer you are harvesting from uses a different bottling strain because usually harvesting from a bottled beer is done because a brewer wants to have a similar yeast profile to the original.

Reason: Clarification

Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #36
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153 View Post
I know I am not Revvy but I was doing some research on the subject and thought I would share what I learned. Many breweries that bottle condition will bottle with a different strain of yeast to carb their beer. I'm pretty sure it's because the alcohol content of the finished product is more than their primary strain can work in. They will usually bottle with a yeast strain that can work at a higher alcohol concentration. It's good to find out if the beer you are harvesting from uses a different bottling strain because usually harvesting from a bottled beer is done because a brewer wants to have a similar yeast profile to the original.
Good thoughts, but false.

The reason certain Belgian breweries use a different strain of yeast to bottle condition their beers, is so that their exact beers cannot be replicated by anyone (homebrewers, but more importantly, other breweries). Many of these Belgian breweries have been using the same "secret" yeasts for thousands of years, and they believe that these strains are the secret to their success.

Keeping their private strains of yeast out of the hands of the public guarantee that nobody else will be replicating their identical beers. Basically just insuring their livelihood in the future..

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
Good thoughts, but false.

The reason certain Belgian breweries use a different strain of yeast to bottle condition their beers, is so that their exact beers cannot be replicated by anyone (homebrewers, but more importantly, other breweries). Many of these Belgian breweries have been using the same "secret" yeasts for thousands of years, and they believe that these strains are the secret to their success.

Keeping their private strains of yeast out of the hands of the public guarantee that nobody else will be replicating their identical beers. Basically just insuring their livelihood in the future..
There are several other reasons, such as the primary strain is a poor attenuator, the bottling strain adds a different flavor component as the beer ages, less yeast bite in the bottling strain, etc.

However, preserving the secret of the primary strain is certainly the most common.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #38
super_simian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-You moron.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

You mean you used your first post to necro a thread that's been dead for 2 years to call someone a moron? Really?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
beergolf Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #40
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You mean you used your first post to necro a thread that's been dead for 2 years to call someone a moron? Really?
+1

Way to win friends and influence people.....not.
Revvy Likes This