Witbier El Segundo Grado Witbier - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Witbier El Segundo Grado Witbier

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
malagabeer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Florida
Posts: 33

What do you mean by "Unmalted wheat" the Raw Ungelatinized wheat or the pre-gelatinized?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #22
speters33w
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17

I brewed an extract derivative of this beer and it is one of the best I've ever had!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/el-s...itbier-186950/

This beer is SO refreshing. It is like Smuttynose Star Island Single with a hint of citrus, not unlike Southern Tier Hop Sun.

This beer ROCKS. It is a great summer beer. I am brewing another batch tonight.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #23
orangehero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Northeast
Posts: 1,730
Liked 300 Times on 188 Posts


Any suggestions as to optimum fermentation temperature? In the gentle simmer thread your wrote that 512 pitches at 65F and lets it free rise. What kind of qualities will you find if you do the same thing at home vs. keeping temperature at say 65-68F? I also have read that due to the pressure inside commercial fermenters, it is possible to use higher temperatures without the expected off-flavors.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #24
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Saccharomyces's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 5,447
Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
Any suggestions as to optimum fermentation temperature? In the gentle simmer thread your wrote that 512 pitches at 65F and lets it free rise. What kind of qualities will you find if you do the same thing at home vs. keeping temperature at say 65-68F? I also have read that due to the pressure inside commercial fermenters, it is possible to use higher temperatures without the expected off-flavors.
I generally pitch at 65*F, hold at 68*F for 24 hours, and then let it get up as warm as it will at room temp (76-77*F maybe). As long as the temperature is kept controlled during the lag phase and the first 24 hours or so of fermentation, you will be fine.

I've read a lot of stories of the WLP400 yeast putting off sulfur (bad smells) during fermentation when fermented too cool toward the end of fermentation... like the Trappist High Gravity strain, this yeast seems to actually perform much better when it is allowed to warm up, the key is to not let it get too warm before the exponential growth phase is mostly complete.
__________________
[How to Calculate Mash Efficiency | Do I Need a Yeast Starter? | My Ghetto Fermentation Chamber | Twitter | 6 Gal. HDPE Fermenters | Slanting Yeast | No Sparge Brewing]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #25
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 152

I was looking to do a single infusion mash on this.

If I remember correctly I can't use the unmalted wheat?


Also what temp would you recommend? 154 or lower?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #26
orangehero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Northeast
Posts: 1,730
Liked 300 Times on 188 Posts


Can you recommend an approximate weight for the fresh citrus zest (without adding marmalade)?

Do you find the gentle simmer to be important and have you ever had issues with it? I think it would be easier to do a regular boil since the boil-off rate is known along with being able to use more sparge water for some extra efficiency points.

You indicate 72% brewhouse efficiency, but what is your extraction efficiency?

Thanks for sharing your insights!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #27
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 152

Well i guess this post partially answers my question

http://goo.gl/nHpzF

Sounds like 150

Also I am guessing Flaked Wheat appears to be the substitute

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #28
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Saccharomyces's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 5,447
Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
I was looking to do a single infusion mash on this.
As long as you are using flaked wheat, you can get away with this, but keep in mind your efficiency will be about 10% lower than usual. I would still mash at 154*F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
Can you recommend an approximate weight for the fresh citrus zest (without adding marmalade)?
Haven't tried this, but I would use the zest of about a half-dozen oranges if you go this route.

Quote:
Do you find the gentle simmer to be important and have you ever had issues with it? I think it would be easier to do a regular boil since the boil-off rate is known along with being able to use more sparge water for some extra efficiency points.
Well the key is to not boil it too hard, and to avoid the use of any kettle finings (eg. whirfloc, irish moss) since you want to keep some protein around.

Quote:
You indicate 72% brewhouse efficiency, but what is your extraction efficiency?
In my system.. about 77%. My normal efficiency is 5-7% over that, wheat seems to gum things up.
__________________
[How to Calculate Mash Efficiency | Do I Need a Yeast Starter? | My Ghetto Fermentation Chamber | Twitter | 6 Gal. HDPE Fermenters | Slanting Yeast | No Sparge Brewing]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #29
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 152

When do you add the sugar in the boil or does it matter?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #30
orangehero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Northeast
Posts: 1,730
Liked 300 Times on 188 Posts


Sacch,

Do you usually do an iodine test on your mash? Even after 90 minutes at 154F I was getting a positive, but I wonder if this is typical for a mash with such a high proportion of unmalted wheat.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Witbier swankyswede Recipes/Ingredients 4 12-31-2011 09:01 PM
El Segundo Brewing Company White Dog IPA n2fooz General Beer Discussion 0 12-05-2011 12:38 AM
El Segundo Grado Witbier speters33w Homebrew Ale Recipes 1 09-16-2010 04:59 AM


Forum Jump