Apfelwein sour? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Apfelwein sour?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
nystevecf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I know it's early but I figured it would be carbed so I tried a glass. Here is the problem, I tried it when it was still and it was great. A few weeks later in a keg and now it is carbed but tastes sour, is this normal and it will pass or did I screw something up?

I dont know if it is paranoia(sp) or not but I think my stomach is turning a little....

Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

It's not paranoia, it's hypochondria your stomach is turning. See if it's the carbonation making it sour, stir some up a bunch in a glass to get the fizz out.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
nystevecf

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
It's not paranoia, it's hypochondria your stomach is turning. See if it's the carbonation making it sour, stir some up a bunch in a glass to get the fizz out.
Still the same....

Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystevecf View Post
Still the same....
Does your keg of appfelwein have a lactic infection?

Pour a glass, then get a clean glass...do they taste the same? I have had beer line that makes apfelwein taste funny.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
nystevecf

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Does your keg of appfelwein have a lactic infection?

Pour a glass, then get a clean glass...do they taste the same? I have had beer line that makes apfelwein taste funny.
I think that it very well may be the line. I will have a buddy taste it to confirm (he had some still out of this batch as well.) I wont say anything to him and see if he notices. What type of line did you switch to BK?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystevecf View Post
What type of line did you switch to BK?
I didn't. I ran a solution of PBW and the hottest water I could get out of the tap and it cleared up.

Also, Apfelwein made with "Natural" sugar...seems to get sour ( as per my single batch expirament that never did clear.)

Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
nystevecf

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I didn't. I ran a solution of PBW and the hottest water I could get out of the tap and it cleared up.

Also, Apfelwein made with "Natural" sugar...seems to get sour ( as per my single batch expirament that never did clear.)
Thanks for the heads up. I ran oxy and star san thru it when I cleaned it but I will use a spare keg and give it a shot.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
GNBrews
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I'm having the same problem. Is there maybe no accounting for taste in some of the rave reviews we've all read?! ;-)

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
EoinMag
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin, Ireland.
Liked 61 Times on 40 Posts

I've not made my own but when I drank Apfelwein in the places in Frankfurt I have to admit it was very sour for my liking, in fact so sour that I got stomach ulcers the week after I left the place and I put it down to that one night drinking the Apfelwein, which I might add I didn't really enjoy either because of it's sourness.
Maybe try the German trick to make a "suesses" (sweet) by adding carbonated mineral water, it is common to either drink them sweet or sour, by adding the water to make the sweet one.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #10
pscranton
Recipes 

Oct 2012

Natural sugars such as cane sugar?