Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Any thoughts on Brewers Best German Oktoberfest kit?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Any thoughts on Brewers Best German Oktoberfest kit?

So I keep trying to make my own recipes with my home brews and they keep coming out kind of blah. So i bought this brewers best German Oktoberfest. Anyone made this one? It's like 6.6lbs LME (Light it says) 12oz of some crystal malt cracked grain and the hops and all that.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I made the German Oktoberfest as my first brew from True Brew ingredient kit. It had pretty much the same ingredients you described. It came out pretty darn good too I must say. Everyone that tried it really liked it. And it really reinforced this new hobby too.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yep -- good stuff. I brewed one of the BB Oktoberfests back in early June. Other than a 12-pack set aside to age a little more, I'm down to little more than a 6-pack and trying to make it last until my next batch of this is ready. This probably won't quite work out though as I just brewed the 2nd batch of this last week and it's still in primary. I think this is actually the first recipe kit I've repeated other than some American light clones I did when I first started brewing.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I've got the exact kit sitting in secondary right now. Even though it's green, it tasted promising when taking my FG.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i brewed this beer. it was quite active during the primary ferment. I had to switch to a blow off tube due to the airlock kept clogging up with krausen. I let this beer sit in the primary for 2 weeks, 2 weeks in the secondary and just bottled it up. Its june now so I plan to drink a few when they are carbed and save the rest for October.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Its only been a week since I bottled this batch up and they already have a decent carb to them. Still tastes really green though. Of course I normally let me beers age at least 4 weeks til i bring them out into circulation, but im just amazed that this beer tasted pretty good only after a week in a bottle. I will for sure brew this again. good luck to you

Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this a few times it went over very well every time I tried it

Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

I've made it and it's very good. My LHBS says it's the most popular kit that he sells.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I have this beer fermenting right now. This Saturday I will be moving it to Secondary and starting the Lagering. It may take longer than any of my BB kits to date, but reading what was posted 3+ years ago makes me fill good.

It should be ready at the perfect time too.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
mmckenna2
Recipes 

Hello,

I am gonna try making this Brewers Best Oktoberfest, although I am going to use the lager yeast provided in the kit but ferment it as an ale. This is actually going to be my first attempt at brewing, maybe a bit ambitious I dunno.
-Any suggestions on temperatures and duration/time period to ferment?
-Also, I do not have a secondary fermenter. Should I purchase the carboy and secondary ferment, or forgo the secondary fermentation altogether?