Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What makes AG so difficult?

Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 AM   #21
Twabe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Desert brew made a great point. You can stumble through it and still make beer. The big difference with me was the time it takes, 6-7 hours, and it always seems like I'm running into a deadline of some sort. I need to start in the am sometime. Paul's Brewing Page (as mentioned before) has a good pictorial of the process, and I copied his "El Cheapo" mash tun concept. For me the extra expense was around $75 for the coolers & plumbing.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #22
Jens-Kristian
Recipes 

I'm happy that you all generally agree with it.

I wasn't trying to bash extract brewing in any way, because I think it is simply another way to make beer and without it, there are a hell of a lot of brewers who would never have started in the first place.

My point in general, was merely that it'd be great if some of the myths surrounding the "problems" of going AG could be debunked.

I agree with the time spent - it is a fair bit and yes, the costs are perhaps a little higher, but my own set-up is by no means expensive and the results that have come out of it have been excellent. At least I think so myself, and those who've tried it seem to agree.

My set-up is basically, a lauter tun made out of a plastic carboy with the top sawn off, hundreds of holes drilled in the sawn-off top and then put in the bottom. Obviously I've fitted the carboy with a tap. Would be sort of silly otherwise.

Other than that, I have a couple of food-grade plastic fermenters, and while I've been told plastic is a no-go by some, there are as many who will tell you that as long as it is food grade, there really is no difference. Personally I can not taste any difference whatsoever. This also means that, since there are taps on my fermenters I can sample the brew quite easily along the way without risking infection by doing it.

The single largest expense was the pot that I mash and boil in (7 gallon stainless steel). Cost nearly as much as all the other stuff put together. Being in possession of that now though, I have very few expenses until I upgrade on a point or two. I just bought a third fermenter so I can finally go on to have two brews fermenting at the same time.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Old 05-03-2006, 04:36 AM   #23
Twabe
Recipes 

J-K, Yes, the ss pot was a KA-chinger! But worth it.

The UPS tracking tag says my Crankenstein grain mill will be on my door when I get home from work on Thursday. Now I can "save" even more money on my brews! Of course, I will need a plastic garbage can or two to keep the bulk grain in................................................ ....Mostly, though, it will save me time and mess at the local HBS. I can just stop in for hops & yeast (OK and a brew) & a few specialty malts. Someday, though, I'd like to grow some hops, but that is a different thread altogether. I live in the Pacific NW, which is hop country, so who knows?

Another thing to mention about AG is there is a tad bit more cleaning and steralizing with the mash tun & any other vessels & plumbing you might have to collect the runnings. What I would give for a commercial dishwashing area!

But to a large certain extent, I feel with AG like I have unlocked some sort of secret mysterious code. Heck, you start with a sack of seeds and end up with beer!

BTW, I also use a 7 gal plastic fermentor, and have not noticed any funny flavors.

-t-