Pumpkin Beer, hey how much pumpkin? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pumpkin Beer, hey how much pumpkin?

Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
gxm
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't brewed with pumpkin, but I have made alot of food with pumpkin & squash. If you want to use fresh produce, I wouldn't recommend anything that is aimed at being carved for Halloween. They are typically flavorless. Many stores will sell "pie pumpkins", which can be much more flavorful.

If I were going to brew a "pumpkin" beer (and I don't care too much for pumpkin spice in beer either), I would probably use acorn or butternut squash instead, as both tend to be more flavorful. Also, I find that smaller squash have more flavor than the larger ones.
If you have access to a farmer's market, talk to them about what you want to do, and they should be able to steer you to the right fruit.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
Aleforge

Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Interesting Idea GXM, I got all my stuff together already but I will have to try that sometime.
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
BeerPressure
Recipes 

May 2008
Dunkirk, NY
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed an extract pumpkin ale and used one can of libby's pumpkin. I think that is the perfect amount, you wont get too much trub with just one can.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #24
Aleforge

Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Only one Can? When did you use it, and did you get a chance to taste the finished brew yet? I got all kinds of answers and amounts now! I got 5 large cans worth of the stuff for tomorrow!

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #25
BeerPressure
Recipes 

May 2008
Dunkirk, NY
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
Only one Can? When did you use it, and did you get a chance to taste the finished brew yet? I got all kinds of answers and amounts now! I got 5 large cans worth of the stuff for tomorrow!
I used it late in the boil, and I did taste the finished beer and it was very good. Lots of aroma (due to the spice pack i suppose) It was a well balanced beer, not overly spicey and not under spiced. I dont know how much the pumpkin really contributes to the final taste but it is a great beer.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #26
Aleforge

Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would guess the one can didn't do much as from what I have learned the spice pretty much makes the "Pumkin Ale" what is it. However, that didn't stop me from using 6lbs of canned pumpkin during the boil. I think I will end up with about 3 gallons of usable beer in the end, but we live and learn.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
GearBeer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed a pumpkin porter, based off Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. I boiled the pumpkin (2.5 cans of Kroger brand pumpkin) and added two 1 tsp infusions of McCormick pumpkin pie spice "spice tea" in secondary (spaced ~4 days apart). The spice was overpowering at first but it tamed down quite respectibly. I personally think this is the best beer I've devised "myself" so far, I used 2 oz black patent IIRC and it complements the pumpkin/spice flavor very well.

I know iamjohnsharp (a.k.a. Chubby Kid Brewing Company) here on the forum brews a squash based "pumpkin" brew that he calls "The Impostor." I highly recommend checking out the label for it in the Label & Display Discussion Forum.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #28
Brulosopher

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

Bringing this one back from the dead! We compared 2 beers made from the same recipe with the same spicing where one received pumpkin and the other didn't. Did it make a difference? Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/05/its...iment-results/

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

TheHappyHopper Likes This 
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #29
TheHappyHopper
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Olathe, KS
Liked 77 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Bringing this one back from the dead! We compared 2 beers made from the same recipe with the same spicing where one received pumpkin and the other didn't. Did it make a difference? Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/05/its...iment-results/
Cool xBmt! I just brewed a pumpkin batch last week. I tried something different this time - a Belgian Blond / Pumpkin - I didn't go to heavy on the spices, I really just added cinnamon and vanilla and then I am hoping to get some spiciness form the Belgian yeast. Since I didn't add all of the nutmeg/pumpkin pie spice/etc. that usually go into a pumpkin beer, I am guessing the pumpkin flavor will be a bit more apparent. I guess we will see....

I have also read a few recipes where people have baked the pumpkin puree prior to adding it to the mash. I would love to try a side-by-side and see what (if anything) that adds to the flavor.

Twitter: @DockDogsBeer

Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #30
conan71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2013
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed a pumpkin ale for the second and probably last time last night- at least using pumpkin in the beer. I might do a spice only version next year and see how that goes. We did one last year using chunks of cooked sugar pumpkin in the mash. While the sparge was a bit slow, it still worked out okay.

Last year’s batch was a 5 gal. and it was done in my 10 gal Igloo mash tun with a false bottom.

This year, I used 11 lbs. of sugar pumpkin puree in a 22 lb. grain bill for a 10 gallon batch in my 70 qt. Igloo mash tun. Even with plenty of rice hulls added to the mash, the sparge was still a nightmare.

I use an electric RIMS system which usually gets 75 to 80% efficiency and pretty clear wort. This came out at 71% and lots of sludge in the wort.