Types of wheat beer? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Types of wheat beer?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
jrakich87
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Isla Vista, CA (Santa Barbara)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bottled my first IPA this evening, and now that my Ale Pail is freed up I'd like to brew up a wheat beer, but I'm not sure where to begin. I've enjoyed hefeweizen for years (Pyramid or Widmer), but I thought that it was a generic term for wheat beer rather than a specific style. Now I'm seeing witbier, dunkelweizen, weizen, weizenbock... what's the deal?

I'm looking on AHS and their dunkelweizen sounds interesting, I'm thinking of going for that one or the lemongrass hefe... is the dunkelweizen more traditional? Has anyone brewed this recipe and had good/bad results? Thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakich87 View Post
I've enjoyed hefeweizen for years (Pyramid or Widmer), but I thought that it was a generic term for wheat beer rather than a specific style.
You misspelled "German."
Hefe = yeast
weizen = wheat

Pyramid and Widmer "hefeweizens" are unfiltered American wheat beers, nothing like a Bavarian hef. Pick yourself up a Paulaner or Weihenstephaner to taste the difference. The yeast and fermentation character ( and clove) is absolutely key to the style.

I have nothing against American wheat beer, in fact I have a sack of grist ready to go for a clear, hoppy, 40% wheat ale!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakich87 View Post
I just bottled my first IPA this evening, and now that my Ale Pail is freed up I'd like to brew up a wheat beer, but I'm not sure where to begin. I've enjoyed hefeweizen for years (Pyramid or Widmer), but I thought that it was a generic term for wheat beer rather than a specific style. Now I'm seeing witbier, dunkelweizen, weizen, weizenbock... what's the deal?
Check out the BJCP style guide:

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 15
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 16
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 06

You have been drinking style 6-d. I find the guide helpful because it describes each style and lists some commercial examples you can go out and buy to try yourself.

My personal favorite is Belgian Witbier (Wit). St Bernardus is IMO the best example of the style I can find. I just kegged a batch last night and it's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
hopsalot
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Corpus, Texas
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Ed Worts Bavarian Hefe is good, he keeps the recipes simple and delicious

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 131 Times on 98 Posts

There is only one...the original is a Bavarian Hefe Weizen or weissbier. Weihenstephen was founded in 1040...the rest are just variations...

Wits came along much later with the introdution of the orange to Europe. I don't know for sure, but history will dictate either 1200s if Marco Polo brought some back from China (even back then everything came from China!!) or exploration in the 1500s.