Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Apfel Bier?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milton, De
Posts: 2,155
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

i stand corrected...personally ive never gotten it that low but maybe i just havent left it go long enough


__________________
On Hiatus: Brewing at work....
scinerd3000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
racer944
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 20
Default

Two heads, sounds like a plan. I'm kinda stuck with this:

5 gallons Tree Top Apple Juice
3.3# Wheat Extract syrup
1 packet SafAle WB-06
Cooler fermenting around 65*F

I'll let it go all the way and just give it a try... why not, right?


racer944 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 3,930
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer944 View Post
Two heads, sounds like a plan. I'm kinda stuck with this:

5 gallons Tree Top Apple Juice
3.3# Wheat Extract syrup
1 packet SafAle WB-06
Cooler fermenting around 65*F

I'll let it go all the way and just give it a try... why not, right?
Let 'er rip! And more importantly, let us know how it tastes!
__________________

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale


DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
racer944
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 20
Default

You too! We should do a bottle swap...
racer944 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 3,930
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer944 View Post
You too! We should do a bottle swap...
Absolutely! Ping me when yours is done, and I'll send you my address . I anticipate mine will be ready to bottle by the end of this month.
__________________

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale


DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
racer944
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 20
Default

Ok, just tossing around an idea here if anyone wants to speculate with me... What if instead of water, you used pasteurized apple juice with a hefeweizen extract kit? I'm VERY tempted to try this during the upcoming week. Any experience? Any words of wisdom?
racer944 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milton, De
Posts: 2,155
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer944 View Post
Ok, just tossing around an idea here if anyone wants to speculate with me... What if instead of water, you used pasteurized apple juice with a hefeweizen extract kit? I'm VERY tempted to try this during the upcoming week. Any experience? Any words of wisdom?
you would have a hell of alot of alcohol.....dont forment too hot or your gonna get some nasty banana esters
__________________
On Hiatus: Brewing at work....
scinerd3000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 3,930
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

OK, my "apfel bier" is done...kegged and carbed! I stopped fermentation at 1.012...it was just starting to lose some of that appley taste that I wanted to preserve. So, down from 1.060 that's an ABV of 6.3%, not bad! It's been in the keg for about 1.5 weeks now, and is starting to clear very nicely but still has some cloudiness to it. I may at some point throw a cinnamon stick in there...but for now it's very tasty and a bit more "quaffable" than an 8.5% apfelwein. When yours is done, let's do an exchange!

Now for my next experiment...2.5 gallons of a very lightly hopped blonde ale, mixed with 2.5 gallons of apple juice. It has the potential go down in history as the worst beverage idea ever...but it could be very good .
__________________

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale


DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff
TwoHeadsBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #19
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Coastarine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 2,582
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
OK, my "apfel bier" is done...kegged and carbed! I stopped fermentation at 1.012...it was just starting to lose some of that appley taste that I wanted to preserve. So, down from 1.060 that's an ABV of 6.3%, not bad! It's been in the keg for about 1.5 weeks now, and is starting to clear very nicely but still has some cloudiness to it. I may at some point throw a cinnamon stick in there...but for now it's very tasty and a bit more "quaffable" than an 8.5% apfelwein. When yours is done, let's do an exchange!

Now for my next experiment...2.5 gallons of a very lightly hopped blonde ale, mixed with 2.5 gallons of apple juice. It has the potential go down in history as the worst beverage idea ever...but it could be very good .
I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out. I hope you keg!
__________________
SEMPER FIDELIS ET SEMPER PARATUS Bringin' the 'pane...the propane.Coming Up:..[Hefewiezen][BCS Robust Porter][EdWort's Haus Pale Ale][Peated Ale]
Fermenting:.
Conditioning:[Oaked Cider][ESB]
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]
Coastarine is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #20
Lanfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ft Hood, TX
Posts: 83
Default

this sounds like a great idea, I cant belive that it hasnt been documented yet. But isnt DME ~20% non-fermentable? wouldnt this add to the sweetness?


__________________
Primary: Not so Simple Cider
Cellared: Mead
Keg: Not so Simple Cider
Planning: Simpler cider
Lanfox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first Apfel!! brandona33 Cider Forum 1 12-23-2009 03:53 PM
Oaked Apfel Notnice Wine Making Forum 10 07-27-2009 06:25 AM
Made Apfel Wein with RC-212.. pretty good syd138 Wine Making Forum 0 01-26-2009 05:59 PM
Alt Bier? Cpt_Kirks General Techniques 9 12-03-2008 02:54 PM
Apfel-Lager Alamo_Beer Recipes/Ingredients 9 07-02-2007 05:56 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS