American IPA BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 145

This yeast talk has me considering notty to make sure I get his gravity where it needs to be



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #42
g-star
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
PA
Posts: 814
Liked 123 Times on 91 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
This yeast talk has me considering notty to make sure I get his gravity where it needs to be
Well, since the OP doesn't seem to check in on this thread anymore, I'll offer advice based on my experience with this recipe.

If I were you I'd mash at a lower temp for a longer time, say 155F for 60min. For me, it seems that the 159F/45 min mash schedule resulted in a dextrinous wort that will not go below 1.026. The attenuation of Notty is comparable WLP001.

I pitched a HUGE healthy starter of WLP001, kept steady upper 60's temps, and it went gangbusters for 2 days before completely crapping out. I re-pitched on a massive yeast cake from another brew that I had just racked, and.....nothing. I'm simply out of fermentables on this one.

I'm bummed, b/c this seemed like a great recipe, but you're taking your chances mashing that high for only 45 min with the amount of honey/crystal malt called for. My samples have been syrupy and cloying sweet. Might be my first dumped batch.

As always, YMMV.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #43
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,375
Liked 775 Times on 432 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Well, since the OP doesn't seem to check in on this thread anymore, I'll offer advice based on my experience with this recipe.

If I were you I'd mash at a lower temp for a longer time, say 155F for 60min. For me, it seems that the 159F/45 min mash schedule resulted in a dextrinous wort that will not go below 1.026. The attenuation of Notty is comparable WLP001.
I agree. Wait!!! What???

Let me see...what did the OP say he was trying to accomplish with this "Outer Limits" IPA?

Oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I wanted to come up with a nice malty, hop-flavorful IPA that pushed the upper limits of a Category-14 (American IPA) beer. The outside range for the OG is 1.075 and the IBU’s at 60. Normally for me, a 60-IBU beer would be a bit too bitter. I knew I’d have to get to one more upper limit with this beer, and that was to attenuate to the high side of about 1.018 finished gravity. With a higher finishing gravity, the malt character would hold its own against the higher IBU’s. This was going to need a high mash (159) and a short rest (45 minutes) to give me the higher FG.
This beer remains one of my personal favorites and based upon the comments of others including those in the original post...I'd say it's lives up to it's name of "Outer Limits".

Now...I'm off to ignore some of my other threads.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #44
g-star
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
PA
Posts: 814
Liked 123 Times on 91 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
This beer remains one of my personal favorites and based upon the comments of others including those in the original post...I'd say it's lives up to it's name of "Outer Limits".

Now...I'm off to ignore some of my other threads.
I'm sure it can be a fine brew and I understand the concept you were going for. I'm just commenting on what happened to me when I attempted to follow it as written, and what I'd do differently if I tried again.

I believe I used sound technique and checked my mash temps with two different thermometers, but ended up with a semi-unfermentable wort anyway. I was hoping you might be able to offer some pointers or constructive advice based on your considerable experience. Please don't take any offense, none intended.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #45
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I agree. Wait!!! What???

Let me see...what did the OP say he was trying to accomplish with this "Outer Limits" IPA?

Oh yeah...



This beer remains one of my personal favorites and based upon the comments of others including those in the original post...I'd say it's lives up to it's name of "Outer Limits".

Now...I'm off to ignore some of my other threads.
BM

Thanks. I am going to go with your recipe as written tonight and hope for the best. It appears to have worked for most everyone and I've had great success with many of your past ones.

My only subs are on 1 or 2 hops but maintaining the IBU ratio

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #46
g-star
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
PA
Posts: 814
Liked 123 Times on 91 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
BM

Thanks. I am going to go with your recipe as written tonight and hope for the best. It appears to have worked for most everyone and I've had great success with many of your past ones.

My only subs are on 1 or 2 hops but maintaining the IBU ratio
Please share your experience if you decide to mash at 159F for 45min. I'm still trying to figure out where this brew went wrong for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #47
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Please share your experience if you decide to mash at 159F for 45min. I'm still trying to figure out where this brew went wrong for me.
Well just cleaned up.

I ended up with a hit on the efficiency. Hit 1.070.

I mashed at 158 for 45 min.

so far it looks to be ok, but we'll see what the SA-04 holds

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,375
Liked 775 Times on 432 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Please don't take any offense, none intended.
You know I was just joshing with ya.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #49
MeanGreen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Dallas/McKinney
Posts: 145

Well nearly a week later. Took a gravity reading and I'm at 1.030. Its been at about 66-68 so moving it up to 70 to hopefully finish it down.

BM does this sound like its headed the right way?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #50
g-star
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
PA
Posts: 814
Liked 123 Times on 91 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
Well nearly a week later. Took a gravity reading and I'm at 1.030. Its been at about 66-68 so moving it up to 70 to hopefully finish it down.

BM does this sound like its headed the right way?
I was at 1.026 after a week at 69F, and it didn't move after that. I tried rousing the yeast and also pitching onto a yeast cake from another brew and letting it go for 2 more weeks.

Still at 1.026.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chiller - outer diameter or inner? vlesperance Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 02-01-2013 04:23 PM
Pushing the "Outer Limits" of an IPA BierMuncher Recipes/Ingredients 17 11-03-2008 07:29 PM


Forum Jump