Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Krausen

Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
EddieWess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Krausen

Hello, I am making a second attempt at brewing my first batch w/o a Mr. Beer kit. Things seem to be going good so far as long as I am correct about 1 thing. You guessed it - krausen. This batch has a good head of white foam and is quite active, there is also a greenish/brownish looking foam on top of the white foam. Is this krausen? If so, what will become of it and what should I be watching for or expect of it. Thanks

Eddie

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Yes, that's krausen. When the fermentation is finishing up, the krausen will drop back into the beer. Some of the crud parts will stay in a ring up around the top of the fermenter, and some will drop completely to the bottom. Both of those leftover gunk collections should be left in the fermenter when you rack. The ring will taste really bitter and terrible, so don't stir it back in the beer. The trub on the bottom will have dead yeast, coagulated protein, hops particles, etc, and usually compacts pretty tightly on the bottom with enough time.

After the krausen drops, the yeast still are busy for a little while. They actually begin to digest their own waste products before flocculating and dropping out, so don't be in a big hurry to move the beer out of there.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Step away from the Krausen. There is nothing to do there.

The top layer is an amalgam of oils and proteins, hop debris, trub, yeast, and trapped CO2.

You can expect this to mesmerize and entrap you and eventually fade away. It's a natural progression that will only serve to foster a deeper intimacy with beer. Dame Krausen will either consistently amaze you or frustrate you to no end but, either way she will always reward you with the most exciting of orgies once she introduces you to her sisters. They are the beauty queens Ethanol, Ester, & Phenol. But be wary of that hot headed bitch Fusel, she's guaranteed to join the party when the room is too hot and she is certain to leave you confused forgetful, exhausted, regretful, and suffering.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
EddieWess
Recipes 

Thanks Yooper, you've put my mind at ease.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
EddieWess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Step away from the Krausen. There is nothing to do there.

The top layer is an amalgam of oils and proteins, trub, yeast, and trapped CO2.

You can expect this to mesmerize and entrapp you and eventually fade away. It's a natural progression that will only serve to foster a deeper intimacy with beer. Dame Krausen will either consistently amaze you or frustrate you to no end but, either way she will always reward you with the most exciting of orgies once she intorduces you to her sisters, ethanol, ester, & phenol. But be wary of that bitch Fusel, she'll join the party when the room gets it hottest and she is certain to leave you confused forgetful, exhausted, regretful, and suffering.
GMB, thanks but now I am so confused.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:

You can expect this to mesmerize and entrapp you and eventually fade away. It's a natural progression that will only serve to foster a deeper intimacy with beer. Dame Krausen will either consistently amaze you or frustrate you to no end but, either way she will always reward you with the most exciting of orgies once she intorduces you to her sisters. They are the beauty queens Ethanol, Ester, & Phenol. But be wary of that hot headed bitch Fusel, she's guaranteed to join the party when the room is too hot and she is certain to leave you confused forgetful, exhausted, regretful, and suffering.

Waxing poetic are we, or just druck????

Well written...heading off to memeorable quotes thread now, thanks!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWess View Post
GMB, thanks but now I am so confused.
That is what she wants. Yooper speaks her language very well also and her words are worth noting. But, she too will mesmerize you just before she slaps you in the head with a hockey stick. Which, ironically, is what a kiss from sister Fusel feels like too.

Edit: Which part confused you?

Ester is the usually sweet, fresh, beauty next door. Everyone notices her but not everyone enjoys her company.

Phenol is the spicey, opinionated, center of attention. She too is very attractive in the right setting but she can be be overwhelming at times and usually you will find yourself looking for a companion more dynamic, less outspoken, or tempermental.

And then there Ethanol. She is the primary reason we all came to the party. And she is the perfect companion for any occasion. She can be eloquent, or a down right whore when you want her too. She'll boost your pride, raise your IQ, and put you on top of the world. But be cautious because she, like Fusel, can be fearless, sometimes demeaning, debilitating and can convince you to do things you'd never do without her. Too much of her company can leave you struggling to find words. However, unlike Fusel, the beauty Ethanol will always leave thirsty for another dance. She is learned, bi-lingual, bi-sexual, and muti-national but loyal to no-one.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
EddieWess
Recipes 

Quote:
That is what she wants. Yooper speaks her language very well also and her words are worth noting. But, she too will mesmerize you just before she slaps you in the head with a hockey stick. Which, ironically, is what a kiss from sister Fusel feels like too.

Edit: Which part confused you?

Ester is the usually sweet, fresh, beauty next door. Everyone notices her but not everyone enjoys her company.

Phenol is the spicey, opinionated, center of attention. She too is very attractive in the right setting but she can be be overwhelming at times and usually you will find yourself looking for a companion more dynamic, less outspoken, or tempermental.

And then there Ethanol. She is the primary reason we all came to the party. And she is the perfect companion for any occasion. She can be eloquent, or a down right whore when you want her too. She'll boost your pride, raise your IQ, and put you on top of the world. But be cautious because she, like Fusel, can be fearless, sometimes demeaning, debilitating and can convince you to do things you'd never do without her. Too much of her company can leave you struggling to find words. However, unlike Fusel, the beauty Ethanol will always leave thirsty for another dance. She is learned, bi-lingual, bi-sexual, and muti-national but loyal to no-one.
Thanks GMB, I see I have a lot of homework to do, I wonder if any of those ladies wouild be into a study date?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWess View Post
Thanks GMB, I see I have a lot of homework to do, I wonder if any of those ladies wouild be into a study date?
I date them all every night.