Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So... who's been laid off?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #21
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
They should have fired him/her before he proceeded with such an insane plan to increase operations cost by 6x. Have to wonder how he/she could have come up with such an idea and executed it before owners noticed. Such a shame when companies lay or outsource people only to find out 6-12 months later it was a terrible mistake, only after destroying people's lives.
I agree, try and get hired back. Problem is they may have issues getting out of the contract. If so he/she should not just be fired but spend some time in jail. He/she will probably get a government job from a friend instead.
Wouldn't surprise me too they paid him/her in full after firing him/her. Only at that level do you get fired for screwing up and still get your money to go away. Makes you think the only incentive left for a CEO to do well is ego since he will get his money anyway.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Never been laid off... although the airline business is a fickle beast.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #23
brew hoperator

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I feel for you, getting laid off absolutely sucks. I was laid off for the first time in May. I have been doing the job search thing as my new full time job since.

I hope you find something soon!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #24
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Crappy. Sorry to hear about that.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #25
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Getting laid off hit me like a ton of kegs. I had seniority etc.. blah blah.. didn't matter to the bean counters. I tried my own business but it didn't work out then I got an offer and it has turned out to be the best thing ever. Hang in there BB. Happy hunting.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #26
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts

It might be getting close, 41 mine techs let loose today, 6 heads in the last week, 20 misc. techs 2 weeks ago. Thank the Lord my division meets budget each month. I hope next month goes as well.
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #27
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Chalk it up to experience, look at it as an opportunity to find something better!

It sucks but you can't help it, things happen.

Worst part is that they made you move :/ what industry do you work in?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #28
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I feel your pain. My company has laid off some 25% of it's work force and going for another 10% soon. I'm hoping for the best, but they've let better people than me go already.
Think of how productive you would be if you werent on the forums 23.6 hours a day. But then again, think of how much less fun HBT would be.
Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #29
curt656
Recipes 

I feel everyone's pain. I was laid off on December 10th, 2007 after 8 years of loyal and impeccable service. I have made my previous employer millions of dollars over the years, and they let me go just like that. The day I was laid off, I was contacted by a company wanting to expand into my area telling me I had a job opening their new facility. They just needed a month or two to put it together. I thought, "No problem! I'm on 2 months severance."

My son was 2 months old at the time and I was excited to have some time to spend with him and help the wife out. Well, 2 months turned into 3 and then 4 and they finally fessed up that the economy was scaring them away. By that time, the job market completely dried up.

I have had dozens of interviews, but almost all of them are outside my field. No one in my field is hiring so I have been trying for a lateral move. The problem with that is there are so many people looking for work there are always people more qualified and with relevant experience. I have been to interviews where the interviewers pull out stacks of resume's 2 inches thick showing me what I am up against.

I have liquidated my entire life savings which has finally run out this month. I am proud of myself that I was able to last this long. I am going to lose my house and I can't even get hired for a lower paying, average job as I have been told by interviewers that they are looking for someone permanent and they think I will go running as soon as a better job comes along. They are probably right, but I can't convince them otherwise.

So, it's been 11 months. I know the economic situation is bad, but that doesn't lend comfort to how bad I feel about myself. I have NEVER been out of work longer than 3 weeks in my life. I am sorry to give such a sob story like this on this board, but I hardly have anyone to talk to anymore. My friends all feel sorry for me and avoid me like i've got the plague, My wife is on the verge of depression, so I dare not talk with her about it anymore than absolutely necessary.

At least Obama won. Hopefully things will change for the better. I still have hope. Hope and the dream of one day brewing my own beer on my patio. One day...One day...

I wish you all who are in my situation the best of luck. I hope it doesn't take you as long as it has taken me to find a job. Good luck to you all.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #30
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

joining late, but I was "let go" 2x

the first was working at a factory in the upland hills of NY along the NY/VT border in the middle of nowhere (I had to drive 40mins to just get gas let alone food) I was glad that didn't work out and I was let go... it was def for the better...

the second was working at an engineering firm, the company hired me and 6 other people and got too big too fast, they went through a lawsuit and couldn't keep the newer staff, so they let us all go...

otherwise, every other job has ended on my call.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com