Man I hate people who don't register and still show up to vote. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Man I hate people who don't register and still show up to vote.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Tempe
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

They make the line go by so slow. Then they yell at the poll worker who is probably a volunteer, like they can change voting laws.
Apparantly in south central phoenix people think you can show up to vote and register to vote in the same place. People were literally astonished to hear you can't register to vote on voting day.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
They make the line go by so slow. Then they yell at the poll worker who is probably a volunteer, like they can change voting laws.
Apparantly in south central phoenix people think you can show up to vote and register to vote in the same place. People were literally astonished to hear you can't register to vote on voting day.
Having to register beforehand is a good way to weed out the wankers who do not pay enough attention to the system, and therefore do not deserve to be heard.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
jezter6
Recipes 

Nov 2006
DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I agree. I despise people who are ignorant of the law and obviously were not intending to vote with any sort of intelligence because they would have known before hand.

How the hell can you NOT be registered to vote anyways? In MD you register when you renew your driver's license, so it's easy as hell. Otherwise just a quick form mailed to the county and you're good to go. My problem is not that I'm not registered, is that some years I don't remember where I'm registered because I moved and don't remember to fill out the voter registration in my new town as fast as I should.

I am very glad that these people can't vote --- nothing worse than an ignorant voter.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
PWalk

Recipes 

Oct 2008
The 700 Level

There was a woman in line this a.m. at my polling place who was shocked to find out she couldn't vote without registering for it first.

She held up the line a solid 5 minutes with her whining. I half expected one of the teamsters outside to come in and physically remove her.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

wait, you mean there are stupid people out there? Who'da thunk it?!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
jezter6
Recipes 

Nov 2006
DARLINGTON, MARYLAND
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWalk View Post
There was a woman in line this a.m. at my polling place who was shocked to find out she couldn't vote without registering for it first.

She held up the line a solid 5 minutes with her whining. I half expected one of the teamsters outside to come in and physically remove her.
Should have been her "fellow Americans" that removed her. I have no problem with vigilante justice in this instance.

Or at least a hundred people yelling at her calling her stupid and telling her to GTFO! That would have shamed her out of the building.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Rochester, MN
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
That's not the case in MN, you can show up to the polls with your driver's license and a recent utility bill and it takes about 10 sec to register. So if someone moved from a state where you can register at the polls, I can see why they would be confused that they have to register ahead of time.

I don't understand why the voting laws are so different from state to state. For example, why can you vote early in 32 states and not in the other 18?
Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Old 11-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

I've never worked an election, I really don't think I'd have the patience. I've done registration for several different organizations, though and have had my share of stupidity. "No, you can't get a refund after you've spent five hours in Hospitality stuffing your face & getting projectile -vomiting drunk at the open bar."

On the other hand, Oregon is 100% voting by mail, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Count the votes & party!

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Slightly off topic, but still relevant:- When I gained my citizenship earlier this year, at the end of the ceremony they made it quite clear in their speeches etc. just how important the right to vote was. They handed out all the info necessary to register to vote. Everyone that I spoke to (That spoke English) did not even need the lecture. They were already pumped up at the idea of having their say. Now, I understand some people's reactions to new immigrants having their vote might be in the negative, but really, you had to be there to see how much it meant to us, and how serious an issue it was. They put to shame some of the natural born citizens who are just too lazy to even care about understanding their own electoral system.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

Have to agree with you Gnome. There have been many times during political discussions that I've wished that everyone should be required to take the citizenship exam. Unfortunately, we have a warm body system here.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk