Volition IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saq

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Bottling on 11/3/08, samples have tasted VERY good, reminiscent of Hop15, etc
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 68.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.75 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %

2.00 oz Chinook [14.30 %] (60 min) Hops 52.8 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (45 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (20 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 4.2 IBU

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 items Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Steep at 156 for 45 min. Spread out extract addition over every 20 min.

1.092 OG, 1.016 FG. ~10% ABV, hoppy as a mofo and just a bitter. Quite excellent.

this is more like an Imperial Ipa......this is gonna be WAAAAAY hoppy. Looks solid thought

True that, I forgot to add the Imperial in the description :)

I bottled this beer, 1.016 FG, tastes hoppy as a mofo, I REALLY like it. Its going to be a long 4 weeks for bottle conditioning.

The day has come that its fully mature in bottles. It is my greatest creation and a really really damn good IIPA. Everyone I've taken it to that knows beer and likes IIPAs says it is near commercial quality and really good. This one wont last long, gonna have to do an all-grain version now that I have the equipment.
Its kind of like Port HOP-15, kind of like Stone Ruination.

This looks good.

I've got an all grain Magnum/Simcoe/Amarillo/Cascade IIPA that I've been planning now with a total of the last five ounces of Simcoe that I have left. This hop schedule reminded me that I've got to get it going. I just love Simcoe.

Simcoes are the hops that convinced me that doing huge late adds and dry hopping with higher AA hops like it and Summit was in fact pure genius.

Here's how I plan to brew batch #2 All Grains style. You can sub Maris Otter with 2 row if you want, but I love me some Maris Otter.

14.5 lb Maris Otter - (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.86 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
1.00 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %

2.00 oz Chinook [14.30 %] (60 min) Hops 51.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (45 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (20 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 4.1 IBU

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 items Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Alternatively if you prefer English style yeast, I think WLP007 would be a good substitute. However, with all these crisp citrusy intense hops found in cali IIPAs, I think WLP001 really is the best fit.

I would do a 60 minute mash at 152f, single infusion, 1.25qt/lbs.

Uh, I did, check the bottom of the first page. You even replied to it!

Ok, I finally got around to a keg of this:

Holy crap ball batman... This is a good beer, even if SAQ came up with it.

The malt backbone is solid, but it is like a punch of hops to the face. If you are not a hop-head, this beer will shut your throat down after the first sip.

Let this beer warm up a little bit, and its a floral boquet of hoppy goodniess.

I have had stonger IPA's, maltier beers, but this beer strikes a good balance between hops & malt, but has enough hop punch to keep hop-heads like me interested.

Soperbrew would not like this beer.

Thats funny you mention that, it is aggressively hoppy but Soperbrew has actually had this beer and I think he liked it!

Just brewed 5 gallons of the partial mash version of this a couple weeks ago. Transferred it to the secondary the day before thanksgiving. Initial taste test was promising. Also I was scrolling through this thread and thought sac/zac was crazy and talking to himself(s) until I realized there were two different names.

Any suggestions for bottling? I dont have a kegging system (yet) so Ill most likely be bottling this. I would guess the standard 2/3 cups of corn sugar boiled in 2 cups of water.

Im planning on brewing this in a week or two and am really looking forward to it based on the comments so far.

Also, any fermentation temp conditions recorded? I figure 62 F primary and 68 F secondary if nothing else.

Thanks!

Ferment this where the yeast works best. With WLP001 thats about 68f fermentation temp, not sure I would go lower than that. Same with PacMan too.
Bottling w/priming sugar depends on your FG, batch size and desired levels of carbonation. On my IPAs I ten'd to go 2.6-2.7vol/co2.

Saq, I like your use of Melanoidin Malt. I did a session APA with it, which turned out great but required a bit of time to fully integrate for such a light beer.

Seems like a big beer like this is perfect for it with a little light crystal and victory -- some great grain choices!

Yeah, melanoidin is an awesome malt in an IPA. This was my first use of it and I liked that it gave some nice semisweet malty flavors without adding to the body or making it cloying. Hopinator kind of evolved from this experimental IPA and IMO is a better IIPA for what this is going for (its also won a lot of medals and this one has not).

I brewed this up awhile ago and just cracked open my first bottle. I had it just shy of 3 weeks of bottle conditioning (I couldn't wait any longer). This recipe is AMAZING and it's easily my best batch yet.

The only thing I changed is that I used WLP 005 yeast instead of the California Ale because my LHBS was out of WLP 001. It turned out amazing with this yeast and I will be brewing this one again. I can't wait to taste what its like with some more bottle conditioning! :tank:

Back