Three Floyd's Gumball Head Extract Clone? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Three Floyd's Gumball Head Extract Clone?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Kwill-bot
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
North Carolina
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I've found many all grain clone recipes for Three Floyd's fantastic Gumball Head brew. The best reviewed of those is as follows:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.0 %
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (80 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (55 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.20 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop) [8.50%] (0 min) Hops - 4 days

Can anyone either convert this to extract or point me in the direction of a recipe that's already been made?

Outofhand Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
BarleyWater
 
BarleyWater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Posts: 2,204
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Most wheat extracts are somewhere around 60% wheat and 40% 2-row, so it would be pretty easy to convert.

I am going to have to guess at the effeciency of the recipe you posted, but the malts should be about like this when converted to extract...

5.5 lbs Dry Wheat Extract
1.0 lbs Caravienne

Now to get the hops correct is going to be the hard part in a brew like this one with about 4 oz of hops, because you can't get the same affect from the hops doing a partial boil that you do when doing a full boil. If you are only boiling a few gallons, then the IBUs will be DRASTICALLY reduced in the final beer, meaning you will need to change the timing or amount of some additions, which will slightly alter the profile they give. If you could let me know your boil volume, I can work your hop additions out for you to keep them about the same.
__________________

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA


www.franconiabrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
cuinrearview
 
cuinrearview's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Delton, MI
Posts: 1,152
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


My interest is piqued. I happen to have 3 oz. Amarillo (thanks ErikTLupus) with no plans for them yet. I've not had this beer, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I would think about 8 oz. white wheat, 8 oz. 2-row, 1 lb. carivienne steeped/mashed with 5-6 lbs. wheat DME and the above hop schedule would be tasty. Anyone know what yeast is used? Ferm. temps?

I think I now have a recipe in the works. The load of hops in the secondary are what whets CU's lips!
__________________
Looking forward to brewing some beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Kwill-bot
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
North Carolina
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
If you are only boiling a few gallons, then the IBUs will be DRASTICALLY reduced in the final beer, meaning you will need to change the timing or amount of some additions, which will slightly alter the profile they give. If you could let me know your boil volume, I can work your hop additions out for you to keep them about the same.
Would using the french press method help that out?

As in, boil a bit of water and steeping the 2 oz. in it, pressing it, and then adding the contents to the fermenter after it has cooled. That instead of simply adding the hops to the carboy.
I've heard it can help maximize the flavor you get from the hops.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #5
Kwill-bot
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
North Carolina
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
My interest is piqued. I happen to have 3 oz. Amarillo (thanks ErikTLupus) with no plans for them yet. I've not had this beer, but have heard nothing but good things about it. I would think about 8 oz. white wheat, 8 oz. 2-row, 1 lb. carivienne steeped/mashed with 5-6 lbs. wheat DME and the above hop schedule would be tasty. Anyone know what yeast is used? Ferm. temps?

I think I now have a recipe in the works. The load of hops in the secondary are what whets CU's lips!
I'm really new to all this. But is that for 10 gallons or 5?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
cuinrearview
 
cuinrearview's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Delton, MI
Posts: 1,152
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


five gallons
__________________
Looking forward to brewing some beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
BarleyWater
 
BarleyWater's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Posts: 2,204
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill-bot View Post
Would using the french press method help that out?

As in, boil a bit of water and steeping the 2 oz. in it, pressing it, and then adding the contents to the fermenter after it has cooled. That instead of simply adding the hops to the carboy.
I've heard it can help maximize the flavor you get from the hops.
You wouldn't get the same flavor from them as you would from putting them in the boil. It gives a grassier, fresher hop flavor and aroma with the press method, so it wouldn't be replecating the brew you are trying to clone.
__________________

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA


www.franconiabrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Jamo99
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
It's Always Sunny
Posts: 465
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I used Wyeast 2450 in mine and it came out great. You could use US-05 or 1056, but I think 1272 would be really nice and accentuate all that amarillo.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
cuinrearview
 
cuinrearview's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Delton, MI
Posts: 1,152
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99 View Post
I used Wyeast 2450 in mine and it came out great. You could use US-05 or 1056, but I think 1272 would be really nice and accentuate all that amarillo.

Good on ya! I have 05 and Notty, and wouldn't be against getting a liquid strain to fully replicate what they use. Just wondering if anyone near Munster has an inside track.
__________________
Looking forward to brewing some beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Damonic
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Chicagoland
Posts: 434
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


It'd be nice to have an extract version of this, in for more...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract Yooper Homebrew Ale Recipes 2337 12-06-2016 10:12 PM
Wanted: Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus Clone jaywoz360 Recipes/Ingredients 7 04-19-2013 10:44 PM
Gumball Head Clone, what do you think. Humer Recipes/Ingredients 36 09-16-2011 06:24 PM
Gumball Head questions. Choguy03 Recipes/Ingredients 6 08-30-2011 05:11 PM
Sapporo Clone with Extract - please recommend rice extract amount NitrouStang96 Recipes/Ingredients 0 04-10-2008 07:19 PM


Forum Jump