Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 18 month old Chimay Yeast
Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
You can always shake it like a crying baby to stir up the yeast and oxygenate it until it takes off.
Just spit a little beer on my monitor...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
Stout Man

Ok, this is just messed up.

So I drive back to the brew store on monday to get some white labs yeast because the chimay yeast i was trying to harvest wasn't doing anything.

I end up with wlp550 and have a good 1/2 gallon starter going. i am planning on stepping it up to the full gallon because the beer i'm making has a high og.

i still had the starter from the chimay yeast sitting on my dresser. i didn't want to dump it just in case something happened. well i looked out of the corner of my eye tonight and it was bubbling. i swirled it up and there were a few giant clusters of new yeast in the starter.

the question is what do i do now? use the chimay yeast starter or the wlp550 yeast starter?

i'm confident that i can take any yeast slurry from either of the starters and make a 15% glycerine solution that I can then freeze so it won't go to waste.

i just hate telling my yeast that i grew it in a starter just to be frozen because it was expecting to make a whole bunch of beer.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would use the wyeast unless the harvested yeast showed signs of being 100% healthy. I think it's great to harvest yeast but really Ihave a feeling Wyeast has better equipment and people banking Chimay yeast from the brewery compared to me stepping up the dregs from a 2year bottle so I'd use thiers.
Primary: empty
Secondary: DogFish 60 Clone
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum
Old 02-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
Default 18 month old Chimay Yeast

I just started the same yeast from a 1/4" cake stored under sterile (boiled) water that was 25 months old. It even spent a short time when the fridge failed. I put it into a growler of leftover wort 1.059SG. It took about 36 hrs, and took off. I just racked to a secondary after 4 days to clean it up. We will see if the taste profile is correct, but I suspect it will be fine.