Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Lets talk stouts!

Old 04-05-2005, 03:05 AM   #1
HomeBrewMatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lets talk stouts!

Whats your favorite stout? Id have to say Young's Oatmeal Stout has to be my favorite. My runners up are Beamish Irish Stout and Imperial Stout from my local brewhaus(Blackforest). It has too be in the pub cans too sooooooo good

Old 04-05-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

To me, a well tended pint of Guinness is like drinking a cold glass of milk. It's just good.

I haven't had many good ones out of a bottle. The only one that comes to mind is Sammy Smith's oatmeal stout.

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 04-05-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
HomeBrewMatt
Recipes 

I can agree Guiness is good if served properly. To many bartenders really dont know how to properly serve Guiness. But even so its good to know that most places you go to will have it available so you not stuck drink watered down crap like Bud or Coors.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
HomeBrewMatt
Recipes 

Sammy Smith is good I had it in the city at an ale house one night. I cant say I enjoy stouts as much from the bottle. For some reason the pub can always tastes better. Definately try a Young's Oatmeal or if you like chocolate flavored beers the Double chocolate is really good too.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beamish is a very poor relative of stout. I am convinced that Guinness sell off any bad brews down to Beamish, and they rebadge it. Seriously though - it's far too bitter/sour. Guinness is delicious, but you really have to come over to Ireland to drink a proper one. i don't bother drinking Guinness when I'm abroad any more - put it like this - there's pubs here that I don't trust their Guinness, so I'm sure as hell not gonna chance it on a random pub abroad....
Other stouts worthy of mention are Plain and Oyster, brewed in the Porterhouse here in Dublin.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewMatt
I can agree Guiness is good if served properly. To many bartenders really dont know how to properly serve Guiness. But even so its good to know that most places you go to will have it available so you not stuck drink watered down crap like Bud or Coors.

I'm curious what you mean by pouring it properly?

My favorite is Guinness by far. I've had it overseas and I've had it in the states many times. I agree it doesn't compare here but sometimes that rare place you find over here has good stuff. This past weekend (in Florida) I tried it at two different places and the Irish pub I went to it was great. The sports bar I went to it was terrible, watered down and not so good.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrelse
I'm curious what you mean by pouring it properly?
Well first off the lines have to be clean and the kegs kept at the right temperature - otherwise you can have the bestest Guinness barman inthe world pour it and it will still taste crap. The best pubs in Ireland for Guinness are the old ones with stone cellars and a high turnover of Guinness, and a short distance between taps and kegs.
As regards the pour, it's a 2 stage pour. Should be poured (glass at an angle of course) to about 75-80% of the glass first and let settle for a minute or 2, and then topped up. The head should stay on the pint even if you tilt the glass so that the head overlaps the edge - i.e. the head should not be so watery that it spills. You should not start drinking the pint till it has all gone black - i.e. has totally settled. Oh and the barman should NEVER be let draw shamrocks or christmas trees or anything like that in the head.
Hate to break it to you though, but the guinness you get over there is reconstituted from whats brewed here in Ireland - they export "essence of guinness" which is non alcoholic (no duty to pay that way) and add it to some locally brewed something. Apparently - else they brew it up ising the esscence. Either way you're getting a poor impression of it. I've had a guest come over from the states to Ireland and when he tasted Guinness here he nearly cried when he realised what he'd been missing out on.
edit : oh and the shape of the glass is also important - should be a tulip glass, and not a straight sided glass.
i.e. http://www.pubglasses.com/Merchant2/...0001/cb3wl.jpg
not http://www.pubglasses.com/Merchant2/...001/2170_L.jpg and not http://www.pubglasses.com/Merchant2/...IANTPINT_L.jpg and CERTAINLY not http://www.pubglasses.com/Merchant2/...001/1242_L.jpg

Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmc
Hate to break it to you though, but the guinness you get over there is reconstituted from whats brewed here in Ireland - they export "essence of guinness" which is non alcoholic (no duty to pay that way) and add it to some locally brewed something. Apparently - else they brew it up ising the esscence. Either way you're getting a poor impression of it. I've had a guest come over from the states to Ireland and when he tasted Guinness here he nearly cried when he realised what he'd been missing out on.

Please post your sources on that--I'm not agreeing with that statement completely. I can believe the Guinness is somewhat different over here in the states, but I don't buy that its different in all parts of Europe.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I heard that Guinness in North America is brewed in Canada. I believe they brew it from scratch there using the same ingredients. I'm not sure what could be so drastically different between that and the original brewed in Ireland, but I too have heard that the US version is not as good.

Perhaps it is just the glory of the moment, sitting in a pub in Dublin sipping on a Guinness, that makes people think it tastes better

Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
It’s also been noted that the Guinness brewery at St. James Gate in Dublin, Ireland creates what they call a Guinness “essence,” which is shipped to contract brewers throughout the world. Sources claim this essence is then blended with a clear beer base (like the Smirnoff Ice base perhaps?) and packaged. And though Guinness is adamant that the Guinness Draught kegs coming into the US are from Ireland, the thought of shipping hundreds of thousands of kegs to the US each year is ridiculous. To boot, keg labels merely state “product of Ireland” vs. “brewed in Ireland” – a result of the essence being manufactured in Ireland, and the rest put together elsewhere?
This story backs up what kenmc said. You can read it all here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/f-449075/