How to pronounce...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrvilleOrdinary

Reaction score
Hey,

I was looking for a thread that dealt with general pronunciation problems, and was unable to find one, so I thought I'd start one up. If I'm undermining the integrity of an already-thriving "pronunciation thread" that I missed, forgive me.

So go ahead and put down any words the pronunciation of which you're not sure about, or go ahead and put down words you KNOW how to pronounce which other people often get wrong. I'll start with one I know, and one I'm curious about:

1. Wort (Pronounced WERT).

2. Tun (I heard some guy say TOON, but I've always said TUHN. Which is it?)

trub = troob
acetyl = (chemistry people) ae-see-tuhl (brew people) ass-uh-tuhl

and I've always heard tun = toon

Oh, and the W in hefeweisen is pronounced as a V.

I've always heard Mash Tun pronounced "Ton" also.

Saaz - I've always said (and heard) it as "satz" with a soft a. You dont really prounounce the "t" that hard.

...Saaz - I've always said (and heard) it as "satz" with a soft a. You dont really prounounce the "t" that hard.

I'm with you, it's like the past tense of seek with an s at the end= soughts = sotz.
Does that sound right:drunk:?

Does that sound right:drunk:?
That's the way I roll!

Oh...and for the mead Crowd:
Puh pAe zee un
Mel-O Mel.

It's a Mash TON (ton of Bricks)
I boil Wort...like what you get on your finger....(Call it Eastern Colorado Dialect!)
and we ferment on Trub like the Tub Like where you take a bath.

So when we meet in person, and I sound like a Hill Billy...just know that there are no hills where I come from...but there are also no other brewers to make me talk like you!

That's the way I roll!

Oh...and for the mead Crowd:
Puh pAe zee un
Mel-O Mel.

It's a Mash TON (ton of Bricks)
I boil Wort...like what you get on your finger....(Call it Eastern Colorado Dialect!)
and we ferment on Trub like the Tub Like where you take a bath.

So when we meet in person, and I sound like a Hill Billy...just know that there are no hills where I come from...but there are also no other brewers to make me talk like you!

Well, that's just great! :rolleyes:
I pronounce everything just like you which means I'm an Alaskan living in Nebraska that sounds like a Eastern Colorado Hillbilly. :eek:

Willamette hops.

I always heard it in my head as "Will-uh-met"
But I recently heard another HBT-er call them "Wuh-la-mit".

I dunno.

Saaz I always hear in my head as "Saws" like jaws

Wort is "Wert", like Vert

I've mostly heard it pronounced "wert". Breweries, tv documentaries, Jamil etc. I think it can really be said either way. John Palmer says "wort" (like what you get on your finger) all the time on the Brew Strong podcast.

"Wuh-la-mit" is correct. I live in the Willamatte Valley, right down the road from the FDA Hop Research farms.

Yeah.

I think the rest of my pronunciations are inline with Big Kahuna, except for saaz. I say "saws".

I'm an American, I have no regional dialect whatsoever, and I think half of these words are silly anyhow. I don't actually say 'wort' or 'trub' out loud if I don't have to. or 'krausen' for that matter. I just sound like an idiot.

I find it funny (now that I know the correct way) how many people mispronounce draught. Like in Guinness Draught.

Draught = draft

Saaz = sahz
trub = troob
wort = wert
tun = ton
Fuggles = FUH-gulls. Seriously, "foogles"? WTF? :)
kräusen = KROY-sen
vorlauf = FOR-lowf
diacetyl = die-A-seh-tull
hydrometer = what you better buy and learn to use, silly buggers
protease = PRO-tee-ace
Reinheitsgebot = RINE-heights-gay-boat
hefeweißen = HEH-feh-wie-sen

That's all I can think of ATM.

Bob

Fuggles = FUH-gulls. Seriously, "foogles"? WTF? :)

Yeah, when researching hop varietals to grow here I came across an article on Richard Fuggle of Benchley. He is credited as propogating the Fuggle in, IIRC, the 1870's.

Somewhere in that article it was written that his last name is pronounced Foogle, that is the U is long and the G's are very short.

I'll link the ref if I can relocate.

"Wuh-la-mit" is correct. I live in the Willamatte Valley, right down the road from the FDA Hop Research farms.

If thats how you spell it, then why is it said the way you describe? Is it a the English bastardization of an old French word or something?

One thing I have never understood is words that have a different pronunciation than the letters that are in them. ( I speak a few other languages, and they don't do this, unless its slang)

Worcestershire is said: Woostasha

Why not just spell it that way?

As a speaker of German I would pronounce things like this:

Saaz = sahtz
trub = troob
wort = vort
tun = toon
kräusen = kroy-zen
vorlauf = for-lowf
Reinheitsgebot = rine-heights-geh-boat (the 'geh' is normally not emphasized)
hefeweißen = heh-feh-vise-en
Hefeweizen = heh-feh-vi-tzen (the 'i' is a long i).

Most all of the odd sounding names from the Oregon / Washington area are old Indian (Native American) names.

Live in Michigan, and you will understand rather quickly that everything here was named after old Native American words. The map of the state is like a demographic map for which tribes lived where. haha

Can't forget the s-set (β) either. I don't care if the German government is trying to get rid of it, I'm always going to write it.

Back