Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #1231
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis
I got it all glued down and set up. I got the 5.6v charger to work but it doesn't want to spin the bar. The washer is pretty thick and the magnet is 50 x 10 x 5mm. Maybe its too much weight? Would a higher voltage power source give it extra power to get the 2" bar moving or do I just have too large of a stir bar?

Also my fan is a cheap 2$ fan off ebay, maybe its too sh***y?

Sorry for the continuing questions, but this thing is frustrating.
I can't get my 2 inch bar to spin right with even a 12 volt but my 1 inch one spins perfect with the 12v. Best design is prob a 12v with a potentiometer to slow it down if needed. My design is a cigar box, I think the amt and type of material between the magnet and glass determines a lot. Bottom line every DIY version of a stir plate acts diff and you have to tweak and test

On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #1232
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I might turn my 1st gen mac mini into a stir plate.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #1233
mojo2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
I got it all glued down and set up. I got the 5.6v charger to work but it doesn't want to spin the bar. The washer is pretty thick and the magnet is 50 x 10 x 5mm. Maybe its too much weight? Would a higher voltage power source give it extra power to get the 2" bar moving or do I just have too large of a stir bar?

Also my fan is a cheap 2$ fan off ebay, maybe its too sh***y?

Sorry for the continuing questions, but this thing is frustrating.
I found that most cell phone chargers have a much lower current rating that the fans we are trying to power. I started off with a 5V 200mA charger and it spun my fan, but not very fast and definitely not reliable with a starter. My current setup uses a 5V 1000 mA charger and it spins the fan fast enough that it is functional, but it still spins nowhere near as fast (even without the magnet) as it did when it was in a computer. I don't remember the current rating of the fan offhand, but between the voltage and current the charger is well below the fan's values. Ideally, if the charger's output specifications match the fan's input specifications you will get the best performance. In this case though I don't recommend running it without a pot for speed control.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #1234
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 98

A friend gave me a 120 mm 12v fan and a 12v power supply they had laying around. Re-did the whole thing and the fan if ridiculously fast now, so that's good. However I haven't got the damn bar to move. I ordered some more magnets online to see if my magnet I have isn't the right shape. I'd hate to spend the 6$ for a one inch bar instead of my 2".

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #1235
mojo2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
A friend gave me a 120 mm 12v fan and a 12v power supply they had laying around. Re-did the whole thing and the fan if ridiculously fast now, so that's good. However I haven't got the damn bar to move. I ordered some more magnets online to see if my magnet I have isn't the right shape. I'd hate to spend the 6$ for a one inch bar instead of my 2".
Do you have a potentiometer installed? It sounds like the fan moves too fast for the magnetic fields between the magnet and the stir bar to remain coupled. I find it best to turn it on with the potentiometer set to min speed and then slowly speed it up. Eventually you will find a speed that will throw the bar.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #1236
Mojzis
Recipes 

Yeah the pot's installed, but it still goes pretty fast. However it wont throw the magnet even turned all the way up. I hope its not too fast now....

Edit: just switched the supply back to 5.6v and the bar moves a little more. Maybe the pot doesn't slow the 12v down enough? Maybe I need a bigger pot to use the bigger supply...

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #1237
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

I found success in computer fan, washer, hard drive magnets, cigar box and 12v adapter with 1" bar. It spins perfect with a 2L flask and after centering the washer and magnets its almost silent. Perfect vortex, and I didn't have to buy one thing. I tried 6, 9, and 12 volt adapters and the 9 spun it but the 12 is better. Point is you can do this without buying a pot and doing that wiring if you have a variety of adapters laying around, just have to find the right combo.

I'm using 4 hard drive magnets from 2 old hard drives and man are they strong.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #1238
Mojzis
Recipes 

I thought I had an old hard drive to harvest from but I lost it somewhere.

I got the bar to spin with the 6v, pretty good vortex. I don't have the flask so my growler will work for now. I just cant turn it all the way up because it will slide off the curved bottom. Oh well, it works. Maybe when I get a flat bottomed flash i'll hook the 12v up again.

Thanks guys for your help/advice.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #1239
Slow_Day
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is mine.
I bought the Radio Shack rheostat and knob and tested it by squeezing my 3" square fan into a round cheese container. Perfect fit! Who needs an $8.00 project box and machine screws?

OK. Its a POS. But it works great! Can't wait to make my first starter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4144995487.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	102358   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3007514518.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	102360  
originalben Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #1240
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1283 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 144

replaced the electronics in my guitar, wondering if a 250kΩ potentiometer will work instead of the 25Ω listed in the OP?

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2