Is it against the rules? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it against the rules?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #21
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Calgary
Posts: 3,246
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
if you get break with this second wort addition it will mess with your hops.
Does that mean that you wait until hot break to add your hops? I guess If you do 90 minute boils that would be the case. I never thought of how hot break affected hop profile.
__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewpastor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Posts: 4,574
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Does that mean that you wait until hot break to add your hops? I guess If you do 90 minute boils that would be the case. I never thought of how hot break affected hop profile.
My practice is to get my boil going and not add my hops until after hot break. Then I add the first hops and start the timer. My boils then generally end up being a TOTAL of 90 minutes or so, but hopped boil is generally in the 60 minute range.

Hot break is a coagulating of proteins and as this happens hop resin is also taken up, reducing the amount of resin available to be utilized. This is a factor one should take into account. It doesn't mean that adding hops before break is wrong, simply if you add them after break you will have a different result.
__________________
Before I learned to brew I was poor, sober and lonely. Now I am just poor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:15 AM   #23
Twabe
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 25

Actually, on this batch I put 2 oz of the Norther Brewer in the liquor cooler (if this is the right term), pre-boil. A brewer from a local microbrewery suggested this.

I was wondering too, is the boil essentially for hop flavor & evaporation, or does it have another function?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #24
Lost
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Tampa, FL
Posts: 606
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


The boil causes proteins to precipitate out of the beer - this is your hot and cold break. It also cooks off some bad tasting chemicals (i.e. DMS) and extracts hop alpha acids (bitterness). Oh an it makes the batch nice and sterile so you can try and make sure the only bugs that get into it are the yeasties.

There's probably some other stuff going on but this is what immediately came to my mind.

Do a search for FWH (first wort hopping) and mash hopping - adding the hops to the Hot liquor tank would roughly equate to mash hopping. People have various opinions about these practices - some (me) think it's a waste of perfectly good hops. Others swear it adds something unique or smooth to the beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #25
sonvolt
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Posts: 901
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Twabe
Actually, on this batch I put 2 oz of the Norther Brewer in the liquor cooler (if this is the right term), pre-boil. A brewer from a local microbrewery suggested this.

I was wondering too, is the boil essentially for hop flavor & evaporation, or does it have another function?

I never thought about doing that! I think I am going to try it on my next brew.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #26
StephenK1957
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Over the Rainbow
Posts: 8

I first used the small C-clamps used in woodworking to help regulate the outflow from the lauter tun during fly sparging. Worked pretty well, too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #27
Pimp Juice
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
San Leandro
Posts: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
My practice is to get my boil going and not add my hops until after hot break. Then I add the first hops and start the timer. My boils then generally end up being a TOTAL of 90 minutes or so, but hopped boil is generally in the 60 minute range.

Hot break is a coagulating of proteins and as this happens hop resin is also taken up, reducing the amount of resin available to be utilized. This is a factor one should take into account. It doesn't mean that adding hops before break is wrong, simply if you add them after break you will have a different result.
Plus it gets damned messy if it breaks with hops. My only boil overs were when I added the hops before the hot break.
__________________
there are worse things than
being alone
but it often takes decades
to realize this
and most often
when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than
too late.
-Bukowski

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 AM   #28
Twabe
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Tri-Cities, WA
Posts: 25

Thanks for the tips on crimping the outflow, I'll try that next brew day.

-t-

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
man rules Jaybird Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 29 07-16-2010 01:33 AM
My dog rules ChshreCat Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 10 12-15-2009 05:03 PM
Exchange Rules. olllllo Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 3 03-24-2008 04:25 PM


Forum Jump