Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > anyone run?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Joe C
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default anyone run?

well, let me preface with an explanation. For almost 3 years in college I ran D1 track. Unfortunately during that time I pulled both hamstrings, and decided to study rather than run. Now it's been nearly 2 years since I ran competitively and I miss it. I find it difficult to excersise for just vanity. I need competition.

Heres the catch: I'm a sprinter. I'm planning on training through the winter, but I have NO idea how to find open events that have sprinting events (100, 200, 400). There are tons of distance events, but I can't find full track meets. Does anyone here run, or know where I could look?

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is what you do:
1) Park your car your preferred distance from a biker bar (100, 200, or 400m)
2) Walk in to said bar
3) Ask who the bitch riding the Harley is
4) The cracking noise made by a pool cue snapping in half serves as your starter pistol
5) Run

Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These days I only run when being chased . Most colleges and some Junior Colleges have All Comers meets each year. I was in track until I finished college and I used to go to All Comers meets just for practice. Check the closest college team and see who has open meets.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I don't know where in MA/CT you are, but there a bunch of clubs in Boston that participate in track meets that encompass all events - Reebok Boston, Boston Athletic Association, Greater Boston Track Club. I used to run for GBTC, it's a great group. I know there are clubs in CT also, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
shertz
Recipes 

I used to also run short distances, but now that I'm older and am always trying to keep the weight off, I run farther distances. I think your hammies may enjoy a slower, longer run. You wouldn't believe how competitive a 5K or half marathon can be. Overall, I think the half marathon is a better option for healthy living. Of course, that all depends on the person. Give it a try, run a couple of miles and see if you can your competitive juices flowing again.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Only from the cops

Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink View Post
I don't know where in MA/CT you are, but there a bunch of clubs in Boston that participate in track meets that encompass all events - Reebok Boston, Boston Athletic Association, Greater Boston Track Club. I used to run for GBTC, it's a great group. I know there are clubs in CT also, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
I am in Fairfield county. Thanks for the direction. Do you think if I contact someone from GBTC that they could possibly send me in a direction down here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertz View Post
I used to also run short distances, but now that I'm older and am always trying to keep the weight off, I run farther distances. I think your hammies may enjoy a slower, longer run. You wouldn't believe how competitive a 5K or half marathon can be. Overall, I think the half marathon is a better option for healthy living. Of course, that all depends on the person. Give it a try, run a couple of miles and see if you can your competitive juices flowing again.
I've never really enjoyed running distances. I enjoy going fast, and running a 5k just doesn't excite me. My build is very speed oriented - compact/powerful My hamstrings have a bit of scar tissue, however I still have great strength. It's just unfortunate that there are distance races everywhere but no competition for us sprinters.
Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink View Post

After going to the GBTC website, that is exactly what I would want to be involved in. Unfortunately, I am in Fairfield for my MBA so I am not around Boston currently (I'm from the burbs around boston). They look like a very competitive group and that's something I'd love to be a part of. Hopefully I can find something around Fairfield County or relatively close.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Bourdon
Recipes 

Only when chased.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1