Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Correctly cleaning corroded convoluted copper counterflow contraptions
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

Default Correctly cleaning corroded convoluted copper counterflow contraptions

I just got a great deal on a Chillus Maximus and have found it to have a little bit of a green fuzzy corrosion at the in and out ports. I'm sure this is only from being dormant for a while.

Will OxiCLean get this out? Since it uses oxygen as a cleaner, will it contribute to further corrosion? I have heard of using vinegar when cleaning counterflow chillers, but I don't know the reason/purpose for doing so. What concentration should be used and for how long, how often?

(Yes this thread was also in morebeer.com's forum, but haven't had many responses)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...
Those who understand binary math and those who don't.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

The best all-purpose brewery cleaning I have used is PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash). This stuff is amazing. Kinda pricey, but worth it for the job that it does.

The convoluted copper chillers are really meant for use with a pump. I would recirculate PBW through your chiller with the pump for 10 minutes or so. That should take care of it.

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!