Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > looking for kegging advice

Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
jklotz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default looking for kegging advice

bottle brushes, uneven carbonation, cleaning, sanitizing, oxidation, empty bottle storage, cleaning labels off... Man, these bottles are going to dive me to drink Wait - I already do that. Nevermind.

Seriously, I am considering buying a kegging system. I know absolutely nothing about them, but my local HBS has a one keg, 5# C02 tank and hoses kit for around $200. Additional kegs are $35. Seem like a good deal? What should I look for in a kegging system?

I think I can take a shelf out of the fridge, which should leave room for 2, maybe 3 of them. Any helpful newbie advice would be most appreciated.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
STAD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Something to consider...

You're going to want to drill through the door in your fridge and install a faucet (something SWMBO might not appreciate). I would suggest looking on craigslist for a chest freezer to convert to a keezer. It's really your best option. If you were thinking of just using a picnic tap, think about how often you have to open your fridge to get a drink. You'll be wasting a lot of energy that way.

The deal at your LHBS sounds reasonable, but you can always get bet deals. 1 keg should cost around $35. I would suggest going to a welding supply store for your CO2 tank; it will be cheaper. Also, hoses can be purchased through McMaster cheaper than any online HBS or LBHS.

Kegging is much easier and less time consuming. I would say go for it!

Up next: Peanut Butter Porter

Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAD View Post
If you were thinking of just using a picnic tap, think about how often you have to open your fridge to get a drink. You'll be wasting a lot of energy that way.
As opposed to bottles?

Although I do intend on installing taps on my chest freezer some day, I have been using picnic taps for over a year and it is perfectly acceptable.

The $200 for that equipment doesnt seem like too bad of a deal. You could probably find a better deal online, but by the time you add in shipping it is going to be about the same. It will be the best $200 you ever spent.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

My kegging kit had two kegs, a 5lb CO2 bottle with a dual regulator, hoses and fittings for $200.

I got it online.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
jklotz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, out of all the things the gf would like for me to be doing differently, cutting up the fridge with a drill and hack saw is probably not one of them. She already thinks I'm a little crazy for not just going out to buy a 6 pack instead of all this brewing craziness. I think I'm basically screwed when it comes to altering the house any more than I already have in the name of brewing, unless, of course, you guys plan to be around to console me when she moves out

So yes, a keg or 2 in an unmodified fridge is about all I'll be able to swing now. Anything special I should look for? Any particular type of keg or C02 canister? Or should I just head over and have the store set me up with what they have?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
STAD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

CO2 is CO2, like I said, look in the yellow pages under welding and see what they can do for you. I got a 5lb. tank for $90.
Up next: Peanut Butter Porter

Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6208 Times on 4421 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

This is the set up I bought nearly a year ago:
2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)

I bought an extra keg with it. Then, later, 4 more kegs. I'm planning on drilling my fridge sometime, but I've been using the system just like pictured for nearly a year. I love it- and it fits in my apartment sized fridge. (That fridge is about a 3/4 size fridge- only 2 kegs and the co2 tank fit in it).

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
This is the set up I bought nearly a year ago:
2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)

I bought an extra keg with it. Then, later, 4 more kegs. I'm planning on drilling my fridge sometime, but I've been using the system just like pictured for nearly a year. I love it- and it fits in my apartment sized fridge. (That fridge is about a 3/4 size fridge- only 2 kegs and the co2 tank fit in it).
Mine is almost like that, but has the dual regulator, so I can have two pressures at once. Nice, big knobs on the regulators, instead of screws, too.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
jklotz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cpt_Kirks, do you find that having 2 different pressures at once is a big benefit? Is it normal to have different pressures going to each one?

Oh, and thanks for all your help with this guys!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

two pressures is handy - I have one set to carb and one set to serve a lot of times.

Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...