Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > IKEA swing top bottles

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #21
UnaBonger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
not for me. i have always kept them in a fairly dark place until they are ready for the fridge. i think unless you leave them on the counter in the sunlight you will be fine.
The light from the fridge is OK? Not all light is bad? Just straight UV?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
gregs765
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For short periods of time, the fridge light should be okay (unless you have kids who stand there for hours at a time with the door open!). I've heard that sunlight is the worst, followed by florescent lights, then incandescent lights. I've been known to toss a cloth napkin over a clear bottle in our fridge... kinda a ghost beer.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
wreckinball9
Recipes 

UPDATE
i dont want to jinx it, but i just checked the IKEA website and my local IKEA now has the flip tops back in stock!

if they have them in your area i would grab them while you can ($2 a piece for clear 1 liter flip top)

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #24
Nooby
Recipes 

I spotted these bottles yesterday at my local IKEA in Costa Mesa. I didn't know if they'd work, so I didn't buy 'em (d'oh!).

Is the conventional wisdom still that they'll hold up to pressure? After my first batch ended up all over the pantry, I wouldn't want the second batch becoming a room full of beer grenades.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
mwhc22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
I've got 6 of these 1liter sparkling lemonade bottles. They sell them at Target for about 4$.
i have some like that from Sur la Table that i use for sparkling apfelwein and similar things. the ones i have are designed for sparkling mineral water so i assume one could use them for beer as well. but i have like 20 grolsch bottles that i use for beer and the rest goes in .5 liter german beer bottles

“Here’s to a long life and a merry one,
a quick death and an easy one, a pretty girl and a true one,
a cold beer and another one." -Lewis Henry

"old schlitz...new schlitz... both getz you LITZ!"

Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #26
dmob29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I saw these yesterday at IKEA and picked up a few to try out. They are 34 oz and the flip top lid looks pretty strong. I got a Fullers ESB in my primary, but I want to bottle some of it too and these looked pretty good.

Here is a link to the website, but it is only available in the store. If you got one close, it might be worth a trip for a 1 liter flip top for $2!!!

IKEA 34 oz flip top

Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #27
AstroBrew
Recipes 

I would recommend replacing the gaskets on these before putting beer in them. I got a stash of these from Ikea here in Austin and filled a few with some homebrew. After a few weeks, I popped one and it was great! Nice and carbed and conditioned. After a few more weeks, however, the remaining bottles had gone flat! I am guessing the pressure slowly leaked out of the cheap silicone gasket. I going to get some Grolsch replacement gaskets for them before I put anymore beer in them (if I ever do, they work great for still apfelwein).

Old 02-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #28
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as light is concerned, has anyone ever tried painting the bottles? I did a batch with black spray paint and it seemed to be the same as the brown bottles. But i did not do a comparison between clear glass and painted clear glass.

In the future i need to do 1 brown bottle, 1 green, 1 clear, 1 painted glass bottle. Then take those and store them in a window. That way i can do a direct comparison.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #29
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh and since there seems to be a lot of people in the Cincinnati area I feel i should mention that Listermann's (my LHBS here in Cincinnati) has 1 liter flip tops for $4. And those are brown. I do not see them on their website, but I live 2 blocks away so i am there all the time.

They run out of them quick so I would call them before leaving the house.

Listermann.Com - Home Page

**EDIT**
I also think they are cheaper if you buy 12. But i am not sure the price.

**EDIT 2**

I was at Listermann's last night and they have the 1 liter clear glass swing tops for $3. And if I saw it correctly the 12 pack of brown glass was $35.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 AM   #30
solidgrue
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBrew View Post
I would recommend replacing the gaskets on these before putting beer in them. I got a stash of these from Ikea here in Austin and filled a few with some homebrew. After a few weeks, I popped one and it was great! Nice and carbed and conditioned. After a few more weeks, however, the remaining bottles had gone flat! I am guessing the pressure slowly leaked out of the cheap silicone gasket. I going to get some Grolsch replacement gaskets for them before I put anymore beer in them (if I ever do, they work great for still apfelwein).
I second this recommendation to replace the gaskets. I picked up a half-dozen of these bottles from the Ikea in Elizabeth, NJ just a few weeks ago, and used them to bottle some lager. Tonight, I cracked open my first one to find that it's gone flat because the silicone gasket started to tear from the inside of the ring. Now that I look, three out of the six show the some lacing around the top of the bottle. Thinking about it a little more critically, I can't imagine the silicone would stand up well over repeated sterilizations and carbonations, since it will probably get brittle. I'll be switching out the gasket on one of these bottles for my next batch, to see how it works out.

On the plus side, now I won't feel guilty trying some of this homebrew in this fantastic beer-braised brisket recipe I have.