Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Newell's Groundhog Cider (woodchuck amber clone)

Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
newell456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbasta View Post
Tastes almost exactly like Woodchuck Amber except the ABV is a bit higher. The first week or so it was a little more cloudy than Woodchuck, but it has settled out now. I used all Wal-Mart brand ingredients (Great Value stuff) and it only cost me about $17 for 5 gallons.

The fermentation is pretty intense the first couple of days, then it settles down. But it does take well over 2 weeks for full fermentation.
Good to know. I let mine go for over a month, but it sounds like I didn't need to. It's quite interesting with a dash of cinnamon or even nutmeg in the glass before you pour.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
rorichmond
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this recipe a few weeks back. My OG and FG were the same as matthewbasta's. It finished fermenting in about 9 or 10 days. After 16 days, I put the whole carboy in the fridge, and added some isinglass a day later. I am hoping it clears up better than is has - still quite cloudy. It seems as though it's gonna be pretty tasty though. Should be ready to drink in another week or so.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
rorichmond
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newell456 View Post
Good to know. I let mine go for over a month, but it sounds like I didn't need to. It's quite interesting with a dash of cinnamon or even nutmeg in the glass before you pour.
I wonder what it would be like with cinnamon sticks floating around in the keg... may try that with batch #2.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
j-rad
Recipes 

Question on this recipe:

If I want to make this and bottle carb it, can I do the following?

After primary fermentation, rack to bottling bucket with the concentrate and bottle. Wait until desired carbonation, and heat pasteurize to kill the yeast (instead of the potassium sorbate step)?

Will it come out generally the same? Never done this before, so not sure if this is a dumb question or not.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
kourtjestr
Recipes 

I have never really looked into doing this before, but I am now very interested... Especially in a response to the previous comment, as I haven't put down the $$ for a kegging system yet.. I just don't see why it wouldn't be bottle carbonated like any beer. We don't kill the yeast in an ale, why should it be required in this? (I'm definitely new to this kind of brewing...)

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #16
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kourtjestr View Post
I have never really looked into doing this before, but I am now very interested... Especially in a response to the previous comment, as I haven't put down the $$ for a kegging system yet.. I just don't see why it wouldn't be bottle carbonated like any beer. We don't kill the yeast in an ale, why should it be required in this? (I'm definitely new to this kind of brewing...)
You could bottle carb. But you can't bottle carb and back sweeten unless you use a non-fermentable sugar like lactose. Yeast are lactose intolerant, in a manner of speaking. If you don't kill the yeast and you back sweeten with apple juice concentrate or anything with fermentable sugar to the amount in the recipe, the gases from fermentation will burst the bottles. You will make bottle bombs. So your options are to (1) kill the yeast and bottle a flat, backsweetened cider, (2) bottle a dry (non-sweetened) but carbonated cider, or (3) bottle a carbonated cider, backsweetened with lactose.

I have have never used lactose, so I don't know anything about it.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #17
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have to bump this recipe simply because it makes short work of "ok" cider. Usually I blend in the ok cider with better cider and get a pretty darn good cider. Well this time I decided to try this out. Basically I made cider from fresh apples with pasteur champagne - it was ok, but nothing special. I sugared it up ending with 9.6% alc. Here is what I then did.

Dry cider fixer:
3 month aged dry cider - 3.5 gallons
6 cans of apple juice concentrate
5 rounded 1/4 tsp of sorbate
water to top off to 5 gallons
Cane sugar to bring the mix up to 1.029 (6 cans of AJ didn't do it, and I was barely off the mark so I used cane sugar)

I tasted the mix (sweet) but tasty, like woodchucky. I threw it in to carbonate and will post the final tasting, but it is a no brainer. This one is gonna be good.

I used 3.5 gallons of the cider with water and AJ (1.5 gallons) to bring my Alc percentage down to 6.8 ish. Also, I will be able to do this again with the secon half of the carboy (it was a 6.5 filled to the top)

Very cool discovery - my wife loves wood chuck, not sure why I didn't think to try something like this earlier.

Thanks for the idea!!!

One other aspect I really like about this recipe is that if you have aged cider for 6 months, the yeast is likely toast. So you can force carb and bottle with relative confidence (no restart on the fermentation)! I might try that with some older "ok" cider.

And very lastly - you can always use fresh cider instead of applejuice to sweeten. Freeze your cider, partially thaw and pour off concentrated sugar liquid and leave unthawed ice portion out. You would have to address the yeast issue though.
cheeseplease Likes This 
Old 01-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Wanted to post a variation I tried. I found that using dry cider then adding the AJ concentrate left the cider without a tang, so I figured, why stop there what the heck. I added malic acid - worked great, I brought it up to a granny smith type tang and I now I truly love it. This is one of those drinks that would be a crowd pleaser at a party, easy to drink, medium alcohol, tasty. Mine came out at about 6.0% ish I think.

So then I thought, the lady loved this raspberry cider we bought at a local orchard... Last night we made this together and it came out very good. Would buy this stuff routinely good. Not too sweet, rasp notes with a zing.

Cider fixer two (Rasperry Cider):

3.5 ish gallons Dry cider
24oz frozen (or fresh if you have them) no sugar added raspberry's (thawed)
Sorbate
malic acid
7 cans apple juice concentrate
water to top off to 5 gallons

1. Add sorbate to bucket (f slightly rounded 1/4 tsps)
2. Add all the cider to a bucket.
3. Take whole raspberries and put them in a muslin and with rubber gloves smush the berries and tea bag style steeped them in the cider bucket. I kept agitating them, smushing them with a spoon to get the flavor out.
4. Add concentrated AJ to mixture checking Gravity, once you have about 6 cans in add water to 5 gallons ish and mix well take a gravity reading (brought mine to 1.028 since that is what 7 AJ cans got me)
6. Remove raspberries.
7. Add malic acid to tast (go slow and stir and wait, stir and taste - malic acid can sneak up on you)
8. Strain liquid if needed
9. Keg

For me, it then went into the keg, otherwise you would have to make this still since sorbate is added, and way to much sugar to not cause a bottle bomb. It has great raspberry notes and tasted really good, with good zing to it.

This is just a take off on the newell clone, but I thought it was worth commenting on because the lady was very excited when we were done.

Enjoy

Update: 1/18/11
The flavors have sort of balanced out a lot more over the past few days, so I am interested to see if they will change much more, I assume less. The one thing I would comment on is sugar. For me, I think these are too sweet. While the values are still 1.029 for regular and 1.028 for the raspberry, I could never see myself sitting down and drinking them all night. One here and there, that is perfectly fine. That said, the ladies may think the sweetness is perfect, but I do prefer less sweet and these seemed to get a little sweeter tasting from the initial mixing..., just sayin'.

Future plans:I think when I dig into another carboy, I am going to shoot for 1.015 instead, and see what that yields for flavor and dryness. Also, I am going to make the tarter "man hooch" a stouter ABV%, about 8-9. I brought the other ciders down to about 6.3-6.5%

Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
Powers
Recipes 

nice touch with the fresh raspberries. i still need to taste mine, but i might wait until the ~ 2 month racking time comes around in mid-february to avoid more oxygen introduction than necessary during aging...

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
CidahMastah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
nice touch with the fresh raspberries. i still need to taste mine, but i might wait until the ~ 2 month racking time comes around in mid-february to avoid more oxygen introduction than necessary during aging...
Thanks - I can't wait to see how yours turns out as well. Variety is the spice of life.

See update above