Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop combo questions

Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
texasgeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hop combo questions

I have my IPA in primary right now. My hop schedule during the boil was 1 oz Magnum at 60 minutes, 1 oz Tettnang at 15 minutes, and 1 oz more Tettnang at 5 minutes. The recipe didn't call for it, but I think I want to dry-hop when I go to a secondary.

Would you do another 1 oz of Tettnang here, and are pellets okay? I was also thinking of dry-hopping in Williamette instead. I'm open to suggestions from the seasoned vets.

On another semi-related hop question: Would an ESB taste alright if bittered with Cluster and finished with Fuggles? I'm interested in crafting my Clusterfuggled ESB (I love the name ) if these hops would work well together.

Thanks in advance!

Bottled & Conditioning: Michael Richards' NOT Racist Ale
Best of 2006: All Saints' IPA, Six-Malt Amber Ale, McClelland's Irish Red Ale
On Deck: English Honey Bitter, Chocolate Stout, House Pale Ale

Old 04-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgeorge
I have my IPA I think I want to dry-hop when I go to a secondary.

Would you do another 1 oz of Tettnang here, and are pellets okay? I was also thinking of dry-hopping in Williamette instead. I'm open to suggestions from the seasoned vets.

On another semi-related hop question: Would an ESB taste alright if bittered with Cluster and finished with Fuggles? I'm interested in crafting my Clusterfuggled ESB (I love the name ) if these hops would work well together.

Thanks in advance!
i would definitley dry-hop an ipa...thats a no-brainer, and willamette is perfect for that (its basically an american fuggle)

a cluster/fuggle 1-2 combo sounds good...ive never used cluster but what i read theyre a mild bittering hop, which is what you want for an esb(challanger, progress, ek gold, etc..)
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 04-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

willamette will work better than most anything else with that combo.

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many