Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How many have brewed Jamil's recipes? (Nice...Red Rocket)

Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
StunnedMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
I brewed his American Amber that he wrote about in BYO, turned out great. Only took two weeks to float that keg
Was that the "Red Rocket" clone. Because that's the one I brewed. He lists is as an Amber Ale, though Beer Tools Pro shows it way out of style for an Amber Ale.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
Csuho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i did his american brown 1 time and i thought it was ok maybe it was something i did wrong(it was my 2nd all grain). i am willing to give his recipes another try since his accomplishments they speak mountains of the man.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #23
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
JZ's book says he aims for 6 gal in the kettle at the end of the boil & puts 5.5 gal in the fermenter, and transfers 5 gal into a keg after fermenting.
My current setup has a 5 gal max in the kettle (using PM), and I put all 5 gal in the fermenter, so I adjust all recipes by 5/6ths.
I should really read more carefully, no wonder I am hitting all the OG's +0.01, I double the recipe, end with 11g in the pot and transfer 5.5g to two carboys...my efficiency is also very very high, I need to start reducing the grain bills.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #24
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 261

I've done the Weed/Feed/Mow exactly as written and it came out awesome. I've also done the Brown Porter without the brown malt and it came out so-so...I'm guessing it wasn't the recipe but my poor substitution. I look forward to brewing it again but with the brown malt in it.

I've listened to the brewing network podcasts and they have quite a few listeners who have been brewing Jamil's recipes and winning contests with them.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #25
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I've also done the Brown Porter without the brown malt and it came out so-so...I'm guessing it wasn't the recipe but my poor substitution. I look forward to brewing it again but with the brown malt in it.
Yeah. I listened to the Brown Porter show recently, and he made a pretty big deal of how important the brown malt was to the recipe. I've never used brown malt in anything myself so I'm not sure what it adds, but apparently it's something.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
yelloww
Recipes 

I did his Imperial IPA and his West Coast Blaster (Amercian Amber Ale)...the two were really good.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
jsullivan02130
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There's a reason they call him The Pope.

I've brewed a bunch of these, but the only one I've yet sampled is the West Coast Blaster, his West Coast version of an amber ale, highly hopped and generally bigger than the style calls for. I love this beer. It is awesome. I need to make more.

I'm now waiting on the ESB, the American IPA, the Dry Stout, and the Cream Ale. I've got the Robust Porter fermenting.

One of the things that I really like about this book is that you know you're getting good stuff. So much on the Internet turns out to be sub-par; Jamil's recipe's have been tested, tasted, and tried. They're good.

I will actually sit and read through the book and check across styles and recipes. It is a great way to understand similarities and differences and how small changes in a formulation can make a large difference in the final beer.

Palmer's contribution to the book are also very informative; he tends to get overlooked in this.

Along with How to Brew and Designing Great Beers, I think Brewing Classic Styles is an essential reference for every home brewer.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #28
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did his Ordinary Bitter. I don't know if I have accurately captured it, though. It's not bad, but it's nothing special, either.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #29
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Given that he had like 30 beers or something in the final round of competition this year, I think you're safe with his recipes.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #30
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done Jamil's ordinary bitter, robust porter, american wheat (twice), IPA, and english pale ale. They were all very good. BCS is an excellent resource, to be sure.

Primary/Secondary: #122 American Wheat
Kegged: #121 IPA
Planned: Smoked Cali Common