Fried Hard Drive - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Fried Hard Drive

Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
xiang

Recipes 

Oct 2007
MI

Two weeks ago my 150gig Western Digital Raptor hard drive died. She was an amazing beast of an HD. From intense gaming to web surfing, never once did she complain. Loyal to the bitter end, she never let me down despite any of my drucken follies. Yes, through my careless neglect, she succumbed to over heating due to extreme high temps in my case. How could I have been so unthoughtfull? How could I have not noticed two of my case fans were inoperable?

Rest in peace my love. Lost but not forgotten are all of my recipes, photo's and other irreplaceable software I failed to backup since May of 2008. Gone is the American Brown Ale recipe I created, of which I have no record of, but only a half keg remains. Same for the Pale Ale, a cascade delight, of which only one keg remains.

As in life, the old is reborn anew.............

Donate your hard drives organs, a stirplate is in need!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

*sniff*... that's just beautiful man, just beautiful. Oooh hey that enclosure would make a wicked stirplate box!

Oh wait, that *is* the stirplate box, isn't it?

Reason: Being retarded

Old 10-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
NYC
Liked 480 Times on 469 Posts

+1 for using the case from the HD.

-1 for not making it firewire powered...

Great Idea what to do with my old ext...

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4777 Times on 3223 Posts

How did it act when it died? I had a drive at work that went bad and windows could nto recognize. I loaded some recovery software and managed to read the file I needed before trashing the drive (I already own way too many magnets). Now I don't toss any of them before trying the recovery software.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
Jmac
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take the hard drive out of the case. Hook it up to a working computer on the secondary ide connection. Make sure your bad hard drive jumper is set to cable select. Plug in one of the extra power connectors to your bad hard drive and turn everything on. If you have trouble getting the computer to boot dont hook up the secondary ide connection to the hard drive until the computer has booted. Just make sure the power is connected to the HD, boot the computer and then hook up the secondary ide connection.

See if the computer recognizes it and if it becomes available within "My Computer" then follow the instructions below.

When the black command box comes up type in the command

xcopy e:\*.* c:\backup\*.* /h /e /r /c /k/ y

"e" is the drive letter that window recognizes the drive as(if at all).

This will start complete backup of the bad drive. You must have space for all of the data on the good computer though...

From the looks of the pick this hard drive is in an enclosure and it could be the enclosure is bad in someway. The drive could actually still be good...

If this does not work you could send off to drivesavers.com but could get really expensive.

You could also freeze the drive in a zip lock bag for a day or so then try this again. Sounds crazy and is a last resort but has worked for me before... I didnt believe it either but it worked with a clanking hard drive...

Drivesavers will tell you not to but if your not going to send it off to them then its worth it as a last resort.

Hope this helps....

Old 10-30-2008, 02:38 AM   #6
Jmac
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You have to go to start > run

then you can type in the command below

xcopy e:\*.* c:\backup\*.* /h /e /r /c /k/ y

Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Jmac, did you miss the part where he's already destroyed the drive and took the magnets out?

Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
yermej

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Cape Girardeau, MO
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Jmac, did you miss the part where he's already destroyed the drive and took the magnets out?
Clearly, you underestimate the power of the DOS command prompt.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yermej View Post
Clearly, you underestimate the power of the DOS command prompt.
That's possible?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4777 Times on 3223 Posts

It's simple. Just go back in time to just before the drive was used to build a stir plate, and THEN try to do that backup.