Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > first brew w propagated yeast

Old 10-25-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
vmpolesov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default first brew w propagated yeast

I brewed a batch of 'mystery beer' - meaning I used the random hops left over in the freezer from the last several brew sessions. the main ingredients were light liquid and dry malt extract, with some steeping grains beforehand.

I used propagated yeast, white labs san fran lager yeast. I harvested it from the last batch, washed with pre-boiled water, let it settle and pour of the yeast, discard the trub, etc. Then I made a starter (about 300-400ml) put it on the stir plate for a couple days, and last night brewed a batch and pitched the yeast after discarding the starter wort.

Initial observations - it has taken about a day to get some airlock bubbling going. I thought it would take off faster, but it did not, either because this is lager yeast and I have it in a 55 deg. F room, or because there is no getting around the normal lag period when you dump the yeast into a larger wort volume.

I think propagating yeast is interesting. Of course it boils down to the equation what is your time worth, do you get better results, or do you just enjoy it.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like to do it because it can save a bit of money and time for me. If I order a batch online, I can pull the yeast out and get it started while my ingredients are on their way, so I don't have to wait to make my beer once I get the stuff.

Also, at 7 or 8 bucks a pop, I can re-use the same yeast several times before I have to get more as long as I keep it in good condition.

I love being as involved in the process as I can, and the only thig I don't do at this point is grow and malt my own barley. It's more about having a good time and enjoying the entire process than just getting beer for my.

As far as your lag time goes, I usualy use at least a 2 liter starter for all my beers, and this is especially important for a quick start in a lager which are slow movers anyway. I can get fermentation within an hour or two with a good starter, but I also can get a lag of a day or so, and have had lagers take almost two before. It really depends on what the yeasts feel like doing, and how well prepared everything was, but I am sure everything is fine. RDWHAHB

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
vmpolesov
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I assume you pour off the starter wort and just pitch the yeast right?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, that is what I do. Make a starter, let it go for about a day, then chill overnight. When I start to brew the next day I pull it out of the fridge, decant, and let the yeast warm up to pitching temp.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com