LHBS- May the earth swallow it up! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > LHBS- May the earth swallow it up!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry guys but I have to vent to someone. I posted earlier in the week about how crappy my last experience was at the LHBS, how they dissed my Nut Brown Ale recipes that I got on here and the advice I was given.

Today I swung by to pick up an extra airlock, bung and blow off tube so I could make Apfelwein tomorrow. I swore after last week I'd limit myself to just buying stuff and not ask for their input. So I get the airlock and bung and I ask the woman behind the counter for blow off tubing that would fit the airlock center shaft and she asks what I need it for.

Now I should have ignored the question but I told her I was making AW in a 5 gallon carboy and wanted to be on the safe side. So she gives me a big patronizing lecture on how what I'm doing is wrong and I should make less to avoid losing any. I explain that the Montrachet yeast you guys usually use apparently doesn't foam and now she sneers and tells me what a cheap and nasty yeast it is. I explain it's supposed to be a low-budget carboy filler and that I'd gotten it in a forum. She says "and have you tried any of the beers these guys make?"

What a stuck up old sow. It's not like I've tried any of hers! She may brew effluent for all I know. She certainly looks like she drinks a lot of vinegar. She actually took the blow off tube off the counter and put it back before I said, no, I'll take it anyway. So she doesn't believe in "better safe than sorry"? If they think blow off tubes are so unnecessary why do they stock them. They even have them right at the counter like every second customer is going to buy one.

You know I shouldn't expect better. In the Sonoma wine country anyone remotely connected with wine has their head so far up their arse that the only thing they can taste is their lower intestine. So if you're ever in Sonoma County be aware that the folks at the Beverage People in Santa Rosa are some of the most condescending, patronizing, supercilious, pretentious, puffed up, self important twats you could ever hope to meet. Right now I have no intention of ever setting foot in the place again, which is a real pain in the pisser as I need 2lbs of corn sugar for the AW. However I will substitute with rat poison before I buy it from them!

I am so freaking mad you wouldn't believe it! I need a beer!!!!!!

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 10-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Have a glass of apfelwein instead.... oh wait.

Joking aside, customer service should renamed to owner service. Too much thinking you deserve to shop there and not enough thinking they deserve to serve you good quality service.

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7718 Times on 5421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
She says "and have you tried any of the beers these guys make?"

What a stuck up old sow. It's not like I've tried any of hers!
Sounds to me like you're jonesing to try some of our beers.

Ok, pm me your address and I'll send you a couple.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Brewmeister Jeff
SUPERHERO!!!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Monkey Falls, WI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So, at risk of sounding like a pretentious bastard.....

TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL!! Better yet, forget about those A$$Wad's and have a home brew.

That is one more reason I get my stuff online. Except for the new homebrew store in Slinger, WI (There's a Plug for ya, SuperiorBrew), which I will go to once I have time to brew again.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Oct 2007
South Florida
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

3 words: Austin-Home-Brew. A+ customer service.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
GearBeer
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Clarkston, MI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I feel for ya man. I've not run into condescending, but there's certainly incompentence and poor service in a certain LHBS in my area and I'll tell ya what: I haven't been back since. Shop your values.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

Don't worry about going back for the corn sugar, sub in regular table sugar. The yeast won't know the difference, it works just as well.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 10-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
Beards Brews
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Northeast Georgia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup, I hear ya. I was shopping at one store, but the owner was anti-all grain, because you could get a beer that was just as good via partial mash and all grain is a waste of time in comparison. Ok, I'll agree that you can make great extract and pm beers, but it's my time I'm wasting so what does he care.

I've since started going to a store in another town and I am much more in line with this guy's brewing ideas than the other. On top of that, I don't get a long republican diatribe regurgitating all of Sean Hannity's nonsense. I'm there to buy beer stuff, not discuss politics.

Good luck with your future purchases. +1 for AHS!
On Deck: Challenger Smash, American IPA

Yes we can!

Old 10-25-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
Have a glass of apfelwein instead.... oh wait.

Joking aside, customer service should renamed to owner service. Too much thinking you deserve to shop there and not enough thinking they deserve to serve you good quality service.
Exactly. As I said before folks like me are the future of their business. They're not entitled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Sounds to me like you're jonesing to try some of our beers.

Ok, pm me your address and I'll send you a couple.
Finally someone takes the hint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBeer View Post
I feel for ya man. I've not run into condescending, but there's certainly incompentence and poor service in a certain LHBS in my area and I'll tell ya what: I haven't been back since. Shop your values.
Incompetence I can handle as long as I can buy what you guys recommend. When I know what I want and get an argument??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Don't worry about going back for the corn sugar, sub in regular table sugar. The yeast won't know the difference, it works just as well.
If I need to I'll go that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards Brews View Post
Yup, I hear ya. I was shopping at one store, but the owner was anti-all grain, because you could get a beer that was just as good via partial mash and all grain is a waste of time in comparison. Ok, I'll agree that you can make great extract and pm beers, but it's my time I'm wasting so what does he care.
Even a noob like me has figured out there's many ways to make good brews.

Thanks for the responses (even the sarcastic ones). I have beer now and the world is good.

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts

Unfortunately you will run into people like that... I love the folks at my LHBS, they are really helpful and encouraging, but unfortunately I can buy all of my supplies at Morebeer for much less than I get get them for there. I mean, a 30% savings is hard to pass up... so I no longer shop at my LHBS.