Beer Advocate - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Beer Advocate

Old 10-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #21
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
IMHO one of the best things about BA is the regional forums that make it really easy to stay in the loop with all of the craft beer related things going on around you. I've found some really great places my region that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.
True this. I think there are about 3 southern-end distributors who are members in the South Forum. One is a direct Nashville distributor who always posts when they are thinking about getting new products and they sometimes post when they restock the product.

But yeah, I know reviews are necessary, but I don't personally get any enjoyment out of a beer when I have to pine over a pen to put unnecessarily long adjectives on something that can be said simplistically. Some of those reviewers think they're the next Ernest Hemingway.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Honestly even though I signed up at BA, I didn't realize they had other stuff besides the reviews. I never go directly to their site because they want you to log in to read the review. Instead I'll just Google the beer name and add Beer Advocate at the end so I can go straight to the review.

I compare other peoples reviews to mine and 8/10 times my perceptions track well with the average.
I use the same method to find beer ratings. Frequently, I have to search through the reviews to find one worth reading, though. A lot of them are clearly written by guys who have very limited palates and knowledge. However, the overall rating for any given beer is usually pretty close to my perception of that beer.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Tempe
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Personally, I think BA.com is too rigorusly about beer. I have seen way too many threads nixed because of their lack of beer related content, even tho' they were major traffic generators.

As to the Olstroms, I am sure they are great guys but they have a severe lack of tact on their forum. almost to the point that they strive to insult.

And god forbid that a single reader has a differing opinion from yours and makes a complaint your thread gets modded out.
I agree with you, didn't see many homebrewers either. It's like a bunch of french people talking who only drink fine wine.........except they are talking about beer.