Beer Advocate - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Beer Advocate

Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Feb 2008
San Diego CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys just wondering how many of you know about these guys. Im from MA, right outside of Boston. Beer Advocate is from Boston (Cambridge MA). These guys are great and have a great website and usually some amazing beerfests (Extreme Beerfest, Belgian Beerfest, St Patricks Day beercrawl, ect...). Do any of you subscribe to the magazine??? I do and love it every month. The website and magazine they run is great as you can find out about all kinds of beer you have never tried or want to try and read other peoples opinions on the brew. Plus on the website you can give your opinion on any beer you have ever tried.

Two brothers run Beer Advocate. They are great guys as I met them once on their St Patricks day beercrawl in Cambridge MA.

Check the website out:
BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer.
"Kölsch is the only language one can drink" - Anon

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Mar 2008
Veneta, OR

Actually when I lived back east I would go on frequently. I haven't been on in a while. I do think they have something going and put out some good stuff.
Muddy Paws Brewing Co.

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 10-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Mar 2008
Nashville, TN
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I use it quite often when I'm at the store and trying to decide on what type of beer to buy. I whip out my phone and read the reviews of what I'm looking at.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Oct 2007
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like their site and I volunteer at their festivals, the festivals are a very good time.
No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D

Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Jan 2008
Liked 7526 Times on 6161 Posts

I started in the BA forums prior to stumbling upon HBT (was actually invited to it). Personally, I think is too rigorusly about beer. I have seen way too many threads nixed because of their lack of beer related content, even tho' they were major traffic generators.

As to the Olstroms, I am sure they are great guys but they have a severe lack of tact on their forum. almost to the point that they strive to insult.

And god forbid that a single reader has a differing opinion from yours and makes a complaint your thread gets modded out. Now, I am a sarcastic bastid to be sure but, I am rarely insultingly beligerant and there is a lot more of that going on there than there is here. IMO. YOMV. TAIHTSAT.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Aug 2007
Gainesville, FL
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm on the site, I just like to write reviews of beers to appreciate them more (not that I couldn't just write them down on some paper or something, but oh well), and write reviews of the local joints.

The forums are ok and some of the reviews are useful. However, I feel a lot of the people who write them are either ass-tards or a little too beer-snobby and need to not be writing reviews. The Alstrom bro's seem to be pretty knowledgeable as far as tasting goes and I don't read the forums enough to see any of the stuff said above. So, I guess it's a good site for me!

My biggest complaint is the lack of objectivity, especially from the Alstrom bros. I do believe the beers should be rated based on the criteria listed and not off of some pre-conceived notion of what you are drinking, how good it is, how great the brewers are, etc. I think the beer should be poured into the proper glassware by someone else and presented to the reviewer and told only the style, and the name revealed afterwards, like a real tasting review.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3192 Times on 1885 Posts

I'm on the site, I write reviews of beers on there as well as Danny. I also use it to research a beer I've never heard of...

(I'm probably one of the beer snobs danny's referring to...I try for good practice to write reviews following the bjcp format for judging, as well as try to be as detailed and creative as possible in my descriptions of flavor and aroma.)
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Yep, been on there longer than I've been here.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Oct 2008
The 700 Level

About 3-4 years ago I found my account on there canceled and my email address blocked. I never got an explanation why and have avoided the site ever since. For awhile there it seemed there was this strong rivalry between BA members and members although I never understood why since both were doing the same thing. I maintain a presence at ratebeer as I find the overall presentation of the site, not to mention the demeanor, much more pleasing.

Just my .02
Reklaw Brewing Studio
Philadelphia, PA

Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Apr 2007
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I use the site as a reference when seeking comments about beers I've never tried before. I don't post there.
Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin